Using leather

I’m making a knife sheath (and maybe many more) for a gift. Should I stain it first, then engrave or vice versa? Also what is the easiest leather stain to use for a newbie?

2 Likes

I am also a newbie. I made the 6 pack beverage tote from SLC. I stained it after I cut it. I used Fiebing’s leather stain and was very impressed with it…but keep in mind I’m a newb too:-)

2 Likes

Thanks. I’ll give it a go.

I would use 2 pieces to test one stained on not and engrave both to see what you like best

2 Likes

Fiebings is nice, as is Eco-Flo. I’d stick with water/alcohol based and avoid oil based to start with - and yeah, the look will be different depending on the order you do it in. As a guideline if you want to minimize the difference in colour then stain after, if you want to enhance the difference stain before.

Have fun!

2 Likes

I dye my leather after cutting. I try to minimize the amount of leather I waste by adding about 3/16" border around my design, cutting a sheet from the leather I have. It’s not a lot, but would add up to a lot of wasted dye eventually. I also found that the smaller a piece is, the easier it is to uniformly color it.

As creators, we all have quirks about the ways we make things, so I guess it depends on what way you enjoy it :+1:t4:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.