Using Trace Mode

Does anyone have a simple explanation as to what Trace is and how to use it?

Steve Boyle

1 Like
3 Likes

It basically lets you use your GF as a rudimentary scanner to create your artwork. @ben1 linked to the tutorial section up above, but to help you zero in on it a little better, here’s a direct link to the specific part about the trace function: https://support.glowforge.com/hc/en-us/articles/360033633414-Quick-Transform-a-Drawing-Into-a-Print

2 Likes

One of the base features that allows you to do things without any supporting art design program. Acts like a scanner to what is placed on the bed.
Kids draw something, place it on the bed and Trace it, then engrave score cut and you can hand them something real made with a design they invented.

Even more useful now, since they loaded a lot more features that add things without a supporting design program. Line art, text, cut offset, etc.

1 Like

I don’t know that i’d use trace for much of anything serious, personally, but it has its uses.

for example, I took my GF to maker faire last summer and set it up under a tent outside. we showed lots of sample things i’ve made, but also had sheets of paper and markers for kids to draw something, then we scanned it in on the GF and engraved it and cut it out for them. kids (and their parents) loved it. and more than a few teenagers and adults did, too.

3 Likes

I seldom use trace, either…but, there are some times that it’s quite valuable. My husband’s old knife was missing the black piece on one side, so I ‘scanned’ the side that was still intact into the trace feature to get the shape of the piece…and cut a new piece out of black acrylic. The edges on the new piece aren’t quite as nicely rounded and finished, but we were pleased with the result.

11 Likes

That is a great use of the feature.

2 Likes

That’s when I use it. Been a hit at all the MFs I took it to. Unfortunately, none so far this year :frowning:

2 Likes

I always thought it would have been fabulous to have a GF for birthday parties when my daughter was at that age…

i know, i was sad that we didn’t get one this year.

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.