USPS Keychains

Oh perfect! I don’t think my carrier needs another travel mug! :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

I think I’m going to have to make a couple of these for my local post office as well. Did you change the engrave settings? Looks a bit lighter than normal. Not full power?

1 Like

It could have just been the lighting, then again, I have had some Walnut that doesn’t engrave the same. I can’t remember, but I definitely didn’t change the settings, I know that much.

3 Likes

thank you very much for taking the time to reply. another question , i was watching videos on how to use inkscape, and got to document properties, he discussed there are different documents that can be used depending on the project, for web designs he suggested to use pix , what do you use as your base document?

thanks in advance

Thank you for sharing this. I plan on making one for our postal worker and the gal who works at the Post Office (we’re in a small town, so not many USPS employees). Our postal delivery gal has had to put up with a lot from us, so this will be great to just say “thanks, you’re appreciated.” We’ve lived here for almost 6 years, and although we haven’t moved, we did have the County change our address to a different street as it’s where our driveway actually goes. Anyway, all this time we’d been getting past residents’ mail, and every time we’d put it back in the box. Well, when we changed our address, we filled out a “change of address” with the Post Office specifically stating that only mail addressed to the two of us was to be updated to the new address. It didn’t work and they still delivered others’ mail to us. So I taped a note inside the mailbox and wrote a letter to the local Postmaster, letting them know that we had put up with this for over five years and that this was a brand new address and that we were the only ones to ever have it, so would they please stop giving us mail not with our names on it. That seemed to have done the job. Even when we get our email notification about what is in a day’s mail, there may be some addressed to other people, but it never gets put in our box. So it’ll be nice to surprise our mail people with a nice little gift.

3 Likes

Ya know, I’ve never met anyone that doesn’t think highly of their mail carrier or local Postal people. I’ve also never met anyone that thinks the Postal Network Distribution system is anything but crap and inefficient. Kind of a Catch-22 to those that fondly remember the old Postal Service. But what seems like a move to destroy the remaining good will they closed two of my local Post Offices and the only remaining office within 20 miles is only open 3 hours a day for customer service. The window is open 10am-2pm and closed between 12pm-1pm for lunch. So there is no possible interaction for any employed customer with the local postal employees.

1 Like

Meet me.

When I bought this home in 2016, I was selected to be part of the IBM mail quality program. They send frequent test mail pieces, “cunningly” disguised as both domestic and international mail. Code inside to report using an app. The program was shut down so I can talk about it.

In 5 years, I probably received 400 “certified” letters - the ones with the card you have to sign. About a couple per week. Once - literally once - the carrier came to the door to get a signature. Otherwise they just ripped it off and disposed of it. Constant messages from IBM about whether I had the card, mailed it back, etc. Nope! Never saw them. Dozens of mail items were never delivered at all (you get notifications along the lines of “hey, can you confirm you received this?”)

Also packages that didn’t fit were crammed into my mailbox at the street, door left open. Others were literally thrown from the lawn onto the porch, rain or shine (I have cameras.) Several were ruined due to being out in heavy rain. Oh, I have a car port - which is closer than my front porch.

A couple of years back, the carrier had the audacity to leave a note about how they would appreciate a tip over the holidays. On several occasions, I spotted them in the corner of an abandoned lot near the end of my street, taking a nap.

All of this was reported not only to IBM, but to my local postmaster and also the management at the larger sorting station nearby when I’ve needed to go there. Shoulders were shrugged. Nothing changed.

1 Like

To be honest, I don’t care for either the carrier or the office. I’ve got a bit too many complaints in for them to like me much either too. But that month of mail they didn’t deliver or lost or forwarded to who knows where had bills in it. And the torn, empty boxes they bring to my neighbor’s house in a ziplock bag that is addressed to me, not cool either. One of the mail carriers was busted for hoarding years of mail at their house. And my carrier is still marking packages as delivered hours before actually delivering them…to my neighbor’s house.

Yeah, I guess I should mention that I have never lived in a town, city or urban area where people are less interactive. Always out in the sticks where folks wave at each other and everyone knows everyone. It’s not uncommon for my delivery people to drive up my 1/2 mile rocky driveway in the snow rather than leave something in the rural mailbox at the bottom of the mountain. The one postal employee at the 120sq ft post office always says hi.

4 Likes

Me, too!

i’m friendly, wave at my mail carrier and say hi when i see them. but i’ve had either mediocre or poor experiences with mail carriers for the 20 yrs i’ve been here.

1 Like

Wow. You guys have some lousy postal people. Ours have always been good, helpful, friendly. It’s UPS (& to some extent FedEx) that frost my stones. All the complaints about the postal folks I’ve got with UPS or FedEx.

The only issue we had with the post office in over 30 years was them refusing to deliver my bee nucs to the house. They made my wife go down to pick them up at the post office. They stuck the two boxes in one of those huge canvas rolling bins, left it way out in the middle of the sorting room and made her go back & get them out while all the postal people watched from the office with the door closed.

You’d think 20,000 bees in boxes made of window screening were a problem or something :smiley:

5 Likes

Filling up my car at a gas station and noticed a couple honey bees flying around me. Looked over at the car next to mine with two teenagers outside it scratching their heads. The whole inside of their car was covered with what looked like thousands of bees. Apparently they were transporting the bees to their uncle’s farm and must have hit the brakes a little too hard. They had no experience with the bees other than doing their uncle a favor. See ya. I have an irrational fear of wasps and hornets, and not that fond of bees.

3 Likes

I hate wasps and hornets. I know I shouldn’t kill them randomly because they’re good at controlling other pests, but I’ll step on any one I can.

Honey bees are different. They’re generally far more docile although they’ll sting if they feel threatened. I just felt like they were my guys, part of the family even. When I gave up beekeeping I made sure my hives went to a good beekeeper I knew :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Shows how localized it is.

I’m on a first-name basis with my regular UPS guy, and he always not only puts packages in the car-port, he goes the extra few steps to leave them by the door.

I don’t know the FedEx gal, as I’ve never caught her in the act, but she does the same.

It’s always the USPS folks tossing things from 10’ away onto my exposed porch.

… and I’d love to keep bees. I loved Cody’s Lab series on them a few years back. I have no sympathy for YellowJackets, however.

1 Like

Our post office is only open for a few hours as well, and also closes for lunch. Fortunately we don’t have to go there often, but she’s always very friendly when we do.

Our UPS guy, Mike, is great and we have absolutely no trouble with him, or the ones who fill in when Mike’s not the one delivering. And we get a LOT of deliveries.

Fed-Ex on the other hand, is horrible. We watched one day from our living room window as FedEx put a $300 tool we’d ordered at the foot of the mailbox, which was located at the bottom of our hill, 500 yards away and on a busy State Highway. He didn’t want to drive up the hill. We called FedEx and complained, but nothing happened. Fortunately my husband went right down and picked it up before someone stopped and grabbed it. And although our street address has changed to the less busy street, last week FedEx delivered my watch I’d ordered (again, $300), to a neighbor who has a totally different road and address. Fortunately for us, she was honest and gave my husband the package. Yesterday, however, we did have FedEx show up with a package - at 6:30am - and told us that our address “pinged” up the street but he didn’t think it was right, so he drove a couple hundred feet down the street and saw our mailbox with the address on it. At least he used his brains.

5 Likes

Very nice

Ups is the only service that delivers to my door. I adore them and wish all my packages came via ups. FedEx doesn’t bother. They literally throw my packages over my neighbors fence, so I’m often digging through the bushes of my neighbors yard looking for the packages. That last few deliveries were car parts. I had to inspect all the parts because I ordered rotors for a friend’s car, and they are super heavy. The boxes were completely destroyed. At least the manufacturer packed the rotors well, so I can’t see any visible damage…I guess we’ll find out soon though. Putting them on this weekend.

1 Like

It it hard to change rotors? Does it take a long time?

Would it be hard for me to change the rotors? Yes, I have no experience with that. I would probably need some practice to be good at it.

Is it hard in general? No, doesn’t look like it. I would say that all 4 rotors, brakes, and bleeding the brake lines takes my husband less than 2 hours. Might be less than that, but I never timed him and he usually is working on a bunch of repairs at once.

I think it took him about 2 hours to teach a friend’s husband with no car knowledge step-by-step on changing the rotors and brakes and bleeding the brake lines on their suv. That was allowing my friend’s husband to watch one, then have mine walk him through every action for each following one.

2 Likes