Valentine alternative for school friends

My family has been trying to take small, continuous steps towards reducing our waste. Valentine’s Day is coming up and my youngest is in Grade 4, so he still really wants to hand out valentines to his classmates and friends. I didn’t like the idea of spending a bunch of money on cards that would just get thrown away (or hopefully recycled) or little plastic junk. Glowforge to the rescue! We decided to make key chains instead.

My son is really into Super Mario/Nintendo so we decided to go with characters from those games. I found some high res pics of Mario, Toad, Luigi, Bob-omb and the Star. I converted them to SVG and added an outline to each figure, with a hole for the key chain to attach.

Since we wanted to be able to engrave the backs of the key chains, I also set up the file so that each key chain had a rectangle cut around it. That way, once the engraving and cutting was done on the front side, I could just flip each piece and then engrave the backs and the text was in the right place.

I used PG Maple so I wouldn’t have to worry about finishing the key chains after engraving/cutting.

My son is thrilled with the results and hopefully his friends like them too.

47 Likes

“Toadally”? GO TO YOUR ROOM. :stuck_out_tongue:

15 Likes

These are toadally super!!! :heart_eyes:

7 Likes

Thrilling your son - you are the star!

3 Likes

Great idea!!! And they turned out nice! Gold Star for you.

3 Likes

These are cute. I bet the kids will love them!

2 Likes

Very cute!

1 Like

Thank you everyone!

What a great idea! These would also make great zipper pulls for backpacks and jackets.

2 Likes

We’re putting lobster swivel clasps on them so kids could definitely do that with them if they wanted to.

2 Likes

You’re Princess Peachy! Fun.

1 Like

would you sell the file for these? They are AMAZING, and like you, am struggling with the thought of buying junk that will just go to the landfill :frowning:

1 Like

I won’t sell them because the images are copyright but I will send you the svg files via PM.

6 Likes

I sent you a PM :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would love to make these for my son’s class as well! Would you considering PMing me the SVG? Thank you!

I sent you a PM :slight_smile:

1 Like

For future reference (and other newcomers reading this), it is against forum guidelines to request peoples designs.

If someone shares a print that they’ve made, please respect their sharing and do not ask for the source design or artwork. Designs take work and have value, and when you ask someone to give you that value for free, you undermine their work.

https://community.glowforge.com/faq#stealing

I forgot about that. Thank you for reminding us all.

1 Like

Nice work!! I’ve been trying to come up with something for my son’s class as well. These are fantastic.

Great JOB! I used your idea for inspiration and designed a file for my son. We’re going to cut them out tonight. What size did you make them. I’m horrible with that and things always end up way to big lol

1 Like