Veneered Trivet

Beautiful!

3 Likes

Thought Iā€™d follow up on the performance of this trivet. I let the final coat of poly cure for a week before using. In the two weeks since, Iā€™ve been using it twice daily, and putting a kettle on it directly after removing it from the stovetop after bringing it to a boil. The trivet is still looking greatā€”really, no different from the picture in the original post. I was originally worried about two things.

First, that the polyurethane would yellow and/or decompose after heating. A test piece I sprayed with a few coats of spar varnish began to yellow after the first use and released a strong smell of polyurethane after every use. Faced with the poor performance of the spray spar varnish, I did some more research and saw that oil-based varnish might work better. In the end I used some stuff weā€™d had sitting around the house (link below) and brushed it on. There was a slight odor the first few days after the trivet got heated, but nowhere near as strong as the spray varnish, which continued to smell the whole time I used it (probably about a month). Thereā€™s no smell at all now from the final piece.

The other worry I had is that the heat might cause the glue to loosen and the veneer to peel. Nothing so far. (For the curious, I used Weldbond).

Iā€™ll report back again if anything starts to go awry.

3 Likes

That is beautiful. I love the inlays and the different color veneers. Good work!

1 Like