Ventilation

My head is absolutely spinning with all the technical posts on how the Glowforge is /was/could be ventilated. Oh the possibilities! However, my immediate concern is that it arrived Saturday - a mere 4 days left to make a very special going away gift for a coworker. No time to design a window setup. Can’t I just hook the hose, hang it out the window, stuff a towel around the open space and go?!

3 Likes

Simple answer… YES

7 Likes

I think most of did that when it first showed up :smile:

5 Likes

Do that, cut your friend’s gift, then worry about a more permanent solution!

I had mine as a hose out the window for probably the first 3 months…but I live in CA so I have weather on the easy setting.

3 Likes

If you can cut a dedicated vent, do that. It’s the best solution by a mile.

But hose out the window will work as a stopgap.

3 Likes

Regarding your future exhaust solution, if you need a booster fan in the run, put it as close to the end of the run as possible. The run downstream of the booster will be pressurized as opposed to the ambient atmospheric pressure, so any connection after the booster will be subject to letting smoke out.

1 Like

Yes, and pretty much what I did for 2 years! Though first year I had cardboard, then a couple pieces of cheap acrylic to keep the wind/rain out. Now at least I have rigid foam to fit in the open space with hole for the hose end (have a solid fitting for the end)–much better & don’t need to close the sash when it’s not in use now. Though still use a couple towels as I still haven’t found my good AL duct sealing tape that I know I have somewhere…

1 Like

In case there’s any confusion, yes, that works perfectly fine.

1 Like

Cardboard—and duct tape—is your friend! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I had nylon canvas that I cut off a 8" length and then used the Glowforge to cut a 4" hole and taped it to the opening. now I have a more substantial 2" foam with a proper dryer exhaust in a 4" hole and aluminum tape over that.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.