Very slow GUI

Hi. Has anyone noticed this weekend that the GUI is taking unusually long to do anything?

Just trying to line up my project is taking minutes to do each move. And once it was finally ready, I pressed print and it won’t get to the print stage. It keeps telling me that an error has occurred. And it takes it 45 minutes to get to that point.

No issues here. Just loaded my most complex design - ~3,000 objects and 15,000 nodes, moves around just fine in real-time.

It’s likely your browser, computer, or wifi/internet connection.

1 Like

When that happens to me, it usually ends up being some glitch in the file I’m trying to upload

It’s really slow for me too.

Insanely slow here. It’s not my file I just ran the exact file, removed everything from the tray, added another sheet because I’m making sign party kits, nothing changed and I mean nothing, now it’s been over an hour and it’s still preparing my print.

Edited to add: It finally went to ‘press the magic button’

1 Like

I am so sorry that you are having trouble with uploading.

Your Glowforge may be having trouble maintaining a stable connection.

The most common solution to Wi-Fi challenges is to restart all the devices involved in connecting to the internet.

1. Turn off the computer, phone, or tablet that you’re using
  2. Turn off your Glowforge
  3. Unplug your modem
  4. Unplug your Wi-Fi access point
  5. Wait one minute, then plug everything back in and turn them back on

If that doesn’t work, we have two more suggestions that often make a big difference:

1. Improve the signal path between your Glowforge and your Wi-Fi access point
    Wi-Fi signals need a clear path. Remove physical barriers, and move devices closer together:
  • Move your Wi-Fi access point up high and make sure it’s in an open space. Avoid locating your Wi-Fi access point on the ground, under a desk, in a cabinet, or in a corner where its signal can be blocked.
  • Relocate your Wi-Fi access point closer to your Glowforge
  • Move your Glowforge closer to your Wi-Fi access point
  • Install a Wi-Fi range extender closer to your Glowforge
  • Run an ethernet cable and install a second Wi-Fi access point next to your Glowforge
  1. Reduce electronic and Wi-Fi interference
    If your unit is near other devices that use Wi-Fi or a large number of electronics, temporarily turn off other electronics and devices in the area.

Please let us know if this helps.

I am having really slow response also. Started a few days ago and continues today.
No other websites I visit are have trouble. Verified connection speeds and they are fine. I have tried three different browsers (Edge, Chrome, FireFox). All the same. Everything else works fine on wifi, not a browser issue and I rebooted the windows computer and still have the issues. Looks like a glowforge server issue, nothing to do with users.

The UI doesn’t require an internet connection (or the cloud servers) to manipulate a design once it has loaded.

You can open a design, then turn off your internet, it will behave the same.

Obviously you can’t print, and any changes you make won’t be saved unless you turn it back on again.

Any performance issues in the UI are computer or browser related.

It has been taking several minutes to “render” even simple designs. Long enough I go off and do other things. The same files that used to (previous to a few days ago) render almost instantly.

Uploading new files is even worse. After 10 minutes of waiting for an upload of an image with a couple of small rectangles and some circles, I tried again. 20 minutes later there were two copies. Yes, I checked during the long wait to see if the browser was just off in lala land, and the files did not show up in the other browsers. Caches are not shared between different browsers. And these are small placement adjustments to the same designs I used before that uploaded in seconds.

Can only share my experience, sorry.

You probably want to start your own thread with support - they can only help one owner per thread.

Thank you for your response. I have tried everything you mentioned in your email. I even relocated my WiFi booster in the same room as the glowforge. My signal strength says “strong” & shows 4 (out of 5 bars on my computer).

Although I was able to actually load a design last night, it took about 10 minutes. And white I was trying to line it up on the screen before printing there was a long delay with each move.

I don’t think it’s my internet connection because I am able to visit other sites like normal and my credit card processing is as fast as normal. If there is a slow connection it is the first thing to show it.

Thank you,
Renonna

Thank you for working through those additional troubleshooting steps. Using a WiFi booster can make it a little tricky to determine if you’re getting a good internet connection. While you may be getting a great connection to the booster, you may still have a poor connection to the internet. If the WiFi booster has a poor connection to the main WiFi connection that provides internet access, any devices that are connected to the booster will have poor internet connection even though they’re reporting a strong WiFi connection.

To determine if this is the case, you can use an internet speed test on a device that is connected to the booster and compare the speed when that device is connected to the main WiFi access.

Hello. Thank you for your email. After much checking and troubleshooting, it seems that the WiFi booster is not the problem. However, I have determined the problem to be my laptop. So it is nothing you can help me with. My laptop is about 15 years old and so it is not surprising that it is having issues. You may now officially close this case.

Once again, thank you again for your time and suggestions.

Renonna

1 Like

Hi @renonna,

I am glad you were able to pinpoint the cause of the issue you were experiencing. In the meantime, you can use your Glowforge from your phone, tablet, and more, using our simple, powerful, and free web interface. You’ll just need an up-to-date version of Google Chrome, Firefox, Apple Safari, or Microsoft Edge. I am going to close this thread now. If you run into trouble again please feel free to start a new thread or email us at support@glowforge.com.

Happy Printing!

1 Like