Video Tutorials Relating to the Preservation of Family History

Hi. I periodically post video tutorials here relating to the Glowforge, under the Frickin’ Laser Designs moniker. I own a video biography company called Life. Documented and have decided to start posting more how-tos on my YouTube channel. In case you are interested, here are links to the first two tutorials:

I’ll probably be posting some GF specific stuff there too (as it relates to keepsakes and such), so stay tuned.

With respect to family history, what kind of things would you be interested in learning about on the channel?

Thanks.

Jonathan

13 Likes

Very nice. :grinning:

2 Likes

Thank you, David.

Are you the person in your family for keeping up with the stories and memories? If so, I’d be interested in the kind of material you think would be interesting to publish on the channel.

I’m starting with photos because most people have a ton of them and, for those who have prints, it’s important to correct them and digitize them before they degrade to the point of no return. With respect to photographs, I plan to make additional videos covering scanning, archiving, coloring, and “beautifying.” I then intend to focus on interviewing and video, since that’s what I do and find most important.

Thanks again for taking a look.

Jonathan

4 Likes

I have always enjoyed playing with photographs using Photoshop, usually whitening teeth, wrinkle removal and color correction. :smiley:

3 Likes

This looks awesome, I’ll be happily following this thread.

3 Likes

Great. I’ll try and get more new content crafted and posted soon. Are there any aspects of family history that interest you, like archiving media, tracing genealogy, documenting oral history, etc.?

1 Like

I’m always interested in learning new ways of doing things. Our family has been doing genealogy for quite some time.

1 Like

Here is a new video. Simple, but useful to know.

2 Likes

Here’s my take on how to manage your collection of family photos. A general overview with links in the description to deeper articles and how-to’s.

2 Likes

I’ve got two videos today. The first is a follow up to how to remove a stuck photo from an old photo album. Some people say that sticking an album in the freezer is a great way to get stubborn photos removed. I put it to the test with mixed results.

The second video is not a tutorial but perhaps relevant to the preservation of family history—a brief review of Lume Cube’s Panel Mini. It’s a pretty neat and inexpensive LED panel that you can take with you almost anywhere (it’s about the size of a credit card [not thickness]). If you’ve ever found yourself in a situation where you were recording someone or taking a photo of something and wished you had more light…this panel (or two or three) might be for you.

2 Likes

MyHeritage (myheritage.com) has some cool features when it comes to photos. One feature is their enhanced photo service that uses AI to sharpen and build/fill in blurry faces. It truly does a remarkable job. The second is it’s colorization service. This one is not as good but it still does a great job coloring photos, given that it takes 2-5 seconds to accomplish. You can upload unlimited photos for free until September 10th.

Here is a quick look:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.