Vintage Divers Helmet - EVA Foam!

I love making costumes. I especially love steampunk and steampunk-esque costumes. Costumes and miniatures are my favourite things to make and I spend as much time as possible making them :slight_smile:

It may also come in handy for a scavenger hunt competition that I do every summer called GISH (gish.com). This year has a steampunk/around the world in 80 days kind of theme.

8 Likes

This is truly amazing!

4 Likes

So you made it just because you can. That makes it even more wonderful. My house is full of, ‘because I could’ art too. :heart:

6 Likes

For thin flex hose there is C-Pap, old or replacement Shopvac works well too.

3 Likes

Or plastic ribbed wire loom.

This is a listing for 3 sizes but they can also be gotten in just one size (including 1").

https://www.amazon.com/Split-Black-Harness-Sleeve-Conduit/dp/B07JQQRZWV/ref=sr_1_20?dchild=1&keywords=wire+ribbed+loom&qid=1624063947&sr=8-20

4 Likes

This is brilliant! Your documentation technique is wonderful…I was smiling along with you.

The helmet is pretty cool, too. :smiley:

4 Likes

Depending on your hose’s inner diameter, something like this jointed tubing, fit inside the hose, may make it look like the hoses are floating along after you.

4 Likes

Wow, That’s fantastic. My dad was a hardhat diver in the navy in the early 70’s, so I grew up on pictures and stories of these dive suits. I definitely appreciate your interpretation.

5 Likes

That is absolutely amazing! Very cool piece!

2 Likes

Excellent work. I am very impressed.

1 Like

OOHh Yeah!!!
I did the steampunk arm as well. EVA Foam is brilliant on the laser, takes seconds to cut, is really chunky and is pretty cheap as well.

If you want to make big solid things I would highly recommend it.

You don’t get terribly straight edges on the cut, you do get some “hourglass” effect but for costuming it’s almost unbeatable. I’ve used thin 2mm up to 12mm and it’s all brilliant.

5 Likes

Or just get actual air hose at Home Depot (it what we used for diving equipment). For SCUBA we use black tubing but for surface supplied air (I.e. this) they are typically brightly colored so people see them. They typically include a communications cable (depending on how steampunk you’re going for) since those guys needed the boat to move around as they walked on the bottom to keep the line from dragging on the sea bed.

7 Likes

Just looking at it, someone would never know it was made out of foam! I am so impressed! Spectacular job! I don’t even have that kind of imagination to do something like that.

7 Likes

Thanks. I’m in Canada so I’ll have to see what I can get here. But this is a great starting point!

2 Likes

I’ll look into this. Thanks!

2 Likes

Oh that sounds so cool!

1 Like

Yeah it’s pretty amazing stuff. I use it for a lot of things. Sometimes I just buy the cheap garage mats from the hardware store (that’s what I did for this one) and sometimes I splurge and get the higher density foam. I’ve done everything from 2mm to 10mm…I haven’t found anything thicker where I live.

5 Likes

Luckily there is a guy - Chris at Lost Wax - who makes amazing patterns. They come as PDFs so I convert the pattern pieces to svg. I can usually cut most of the pieces on the GF. The ones that are too big for the bed I cut by hand.

4 Likes

Holy smokes, what an amazing build! Totally realistic looking; your finish work is awesome.

I recently noticed that my local Michaels store (do you have those in Canada?) is carrying cosplay supplies, like Worbla and such.

5 Likes

Yes we have Michaels in Canada. The ones near me carry some of the cosplay supplies. I have purchased rolls of foam from them before. There are few other stores in my city that carry the nicer, higher density EVA as well. I have not tried worbla yet but I do have a DIY recipe and I have heard that it can be cut with laser cutters so I’ll have to give it a go soon!

4 Likes