Visit your local plastics supplier

I keep seeing people asking for sources to get acrylic. With businesses rushing to build sneeze shields it can be difficult to find. I regularly visit Regal Plastics in Joplin Missouri (they have locations all over the midwest)and was told that people are buying what ever thickness they can get just to build them so they can stay open. This is generating lots of leftovers. I picked this out of the scrap bin and paid $10.
Most pieces are 12x19, just perfect for our use. I got 3/4", 1/2", 1/4" and 1/8" cast; 1/8" mirror, lots of extruded and several different colors. 23 pieces in total.

13 Likes

Score! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I did almost as well yesterday buying mdf with broken corners at Home Depot… then they cut it down for free. 92 pieces of varying thickness for $42.

3 Likes

i always get sad that somehow, in the 5th largest metropolitan area in the country, we seem to have no true “local plastics supplier.” i know there are sign shops that i could talk to (and maybe some day i will), but the two closest actual plastics suppliers are outside of baltimore and outside of richmond, 60-90 minutes away (and not places i go to much at all).

2 Likes

I see by your profile you breed Mastiff. We had a fawn colored female, black mask… beautiful. She was a finished champion with an obedience title. Best. Dog. Ever. She only lived 8 years, but I will carry her memory with me for all my days.

Sign makers are another resource for scrap!

6 Likes

giant breeds are the best! we used to have a mastiff/bloodhound mix, my first dog as an adult. still miss him (he almost made it to 12) and have had a Dane for just over a year now.

3 Likes

I’m sorry to hear you lost her, it is never easy. I tell people all the time “God knew what he was doing when he created dogs to be man’s best friend”. I just wish they lived as long as we do.

1 Like

Sweet! I see there is one in Kansas City too! I will definitely have to check that out!

Edit: It is in North KC… 36 minute drive… might still be worth it…

2 Likes

I order stuff from them all the time and have it delivered to the Joplin location.

Hey Bill! I am glad you posted — I live in the area too. I think I will have to check that out; I think a 36 minute drive is far faster than the 5 weeks I have been waiting on an acrylic order to come in (not knowing we had a local place!!!)

2 Likes

@bill.m.davis @Livein3D

I see Chiefs tailgate’n in the future! :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face:

2 Likes

well … not exactly … I’ve been to 2 games since 5th grade when I moved here. More likely would be Royals — actually most likely at a Makerfaire or something similar :wink:

3 Likes

Yeah, that is so true.

1 Like

@Livein3D
@bill.m.davis

Never been to one, but I’ve always wanted to

1 Like

I looked for “local plastic company” and found 3 in Lee’s Summit (less than 10 minutes from my house). I might contact them to see what they have!

Actually, I have never been either. But the last two years we kept talking about going, just haven’t pulled the trigger yet. (I think my wife thinks I will buy to much stuff…)

1 Like

Often it’s the sign/display builders that have scraps to sell–the manufacturers usually only sell in volume!

3 Likes

@shop
@PrintToLaser

If you have Instagram go to Ozark1
https://www.instagram.com/ozark1/
and you can see some of my dogs and photos

3 Likes

Regal animals. :sunglasses:

1 Like

@bill.m.davis Steve and Bill — I’ve been to KC Makerfaire every year except this one (because they didn’t have one). 2018 I brought my Glowforge — it was quite interesting as we also brought our power wheels racing car to race (we did that every year) — but we were worried about the smell when people came around to our “tent” (big tent with lots of people displaying)…so my then boyfriend (upgraded to husband last year) created a stovepipe to go up the tent’s leg and vent out above. Great idea, right? …of course it was … except the people next to us had a kiln and they would set paper on fire right outside the tent…and the smoke blew into our area. …thankfully we had a really powerful fan that blew it away from us. :wink:

I’ll have to make a trip out to Johnsons this week or next because I am getting called back to work (furloughed). Will let you know what I find.

1 Like

Since we are all MO (and CO) here is like to gloat. Both @Livein3D and @cynd11 have some of my stash. It’s a Craigslist find in south St Louis. This is a stack of 19x 33” x 0.22”chem cast acrylic. I paid $100 fo this stack when it was twice the size as it is now.

Colored acrylic would be cool but I have enough acrylic to last as long as I’ll be making stuff. And if anyone every passes through the Lake ( I’m talking about you @bill.m.davis on your way to See the parents) I’ll give you as much as you want.

3 Likes