Wall paneling

Anybody have any thoughts on using wall paneling for a thin plywood alternative? Thanks
JW

1 Like

If for some reason you have a stack of it in the basement, perhaps, depending on what it actually is, Some is wood and some is not and may contain PVC. That which I have seen that was wood would be little better than cardboard with huge gaps frequent in the middle layers, but worse is when the gaps are filled with laserproof bondo.

2 Likes

I bought a bunch of oak plywood from Lowe’s thinking I was discovering the Holy Grail. While the surface is mostly clear, there are numerous voids between the layers and many have a filler that refuses to be cut or etched. For the most part it was a giant waste of money. I now use it for test runs and alignment.

1 Like

Good to know and thank you for the reply!

thank you for the reply and good to know… I speak fluent Autodesk - (Autocad & Inventor) agree with it paying the bills many years

1 Like

Including LISP? There are a couple of us here but have known very few out in the world.

3 Likes

Yes to lisp… a little rust now however I managed CAD for 8 1/2 for an industrial automation conveyor system company… wrote quite a few routines I’m back as an engineer now. Did I see your in the Temple Terrace area? My son lives in Treasure Island
Jay W

1 Like

Very Cool! I am a few years out from doing much cad myself. Back in the bad ole days before Autocad would do the job, Lisp would not live to do a plot, but a script would do the job but not look anything up and I had a few hundred or so drawings of various sizes for two machines. One would take a dozen empty gallon jugs and make a bag around them, and the other opened the bag of jugs and sent them one their way to be filled with milk.

The Lisp routine would look up the details of the drawing and create a script that would do the plot, and then open the next drawing in a list and reload and start that Lisp routine that would overwrite the script and so on making a very long tedious job hardly a job at all.

I did almost all the job on the machines so that was my deepest dive in your specialty, and would have been much worse if the lisp had not kept interactive track of the bill of materials etc.

Living on Treasure Island sounds like a real beach, unlike the dismal swamp on the other side of town where I can throw a rock at the intersection of I-75.
It would be fun to meet when it would not be life-threatening to do so

I went through a large stack of oak plywood at Lowes to pick out two sheets with the least issues. Those I had cut into 5 - 19x48 sheets that fit well in the passthrough and with 10 sheets had quite a lot to work with. I had tried the same thing with Home Depot birch (a photo of which is above) The filler in the Oak was by comparison softer and not so laser proof so even a thin smear would hardly be noticed, while a thin smear of the same in the Birch produced the results you see above, and while the Oak filler could be easily cut with a razor the Birch filler was like cutting on a rock.

I did lose a fair amount of Oak primarily when hitting filler while deep engraving, but it was much more rare than the Birch and had some very good outcomes as you can see here…

1 Like

I have used a fair amount of lauan plywood from the big-box store, at $6 for a 2x4 sheet, it’s easy to transport in a regular vehicle and that makes it <$1.50/“full bed” sheet.

I use a setting slower than it technically needs because it’s not a really good quality ply, but it’s fine for many things I’ve made and I’ve never experienced significant issues like that shown above. I wouldn’t use it, for example, to try and make a delicate multi-layer mandala.

I have table saws, but use a cordless circular saw with an 80-tooth blade to roughly slice it up, as the outside edges aren’t going to be saved anyway.

1 Like

Great to know. Thank you for the info. Trying to find economical solutions. Jay W

“Simple is better…”

I have used it for a lot of pieces, Like the Oak it has a fair amount of filler that is able to be cut with a laser and a bit extra umph! will usually cut through but is weak enough to cut with a knife. Like the Revolution wood the top layer is thinner than paper that even a light sanding will easily break through. They can have a cut or scored design but engraved is a mess.

2 Likes

Hey thanks for all the input! Had the GF for a few months still learning stuff… Nice Lisp routine… BTW Ya would be cool to meet sometime. When my son first moved there he lived a couple off blocks of Dale Mabry to the east… Hines is around there somewhere?
starting to forget Nothing really takes back over bridge now… try to avoid driving over it if possible especially rush hour JW

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.