Walnut and natural leather look great together

A quick gift for my father-in-law

40 Likes

lol thats an awesome slogan.
I do agree the combination looks great! did you have to engrave the bottom sandwich piece of wood so there was space for the leather to sit in?

2 Likes

Bottom piece is just the outside boundary plus the key ring slot.

1 Like

Oooh, you’re right…I do like that combination. :grinning:

2 Likes

Really nice!

Did you put a clear finish on the leather? Just be aware natural oils from handling could cause the unfinished leather to darken & then sadly the text will no longer stand out… :frowning:

3 Likes

No. What product do you suggest specifically for leather?

1 Like

Ha thats awesome! I made my dad something very similar. leather with walnut personalized coasters

2 Likes

I hope another owner can give you good recommendations–alas I rarely work w/ natural veg tanned leather myself. I sometimes use mink oil–it will darken the leather a bit, akin to what your own hand oils would do. So test first. But many leather dyes available (Feibling is a good brand) and likely there’s a “natural” type available!

I use Kiwi shoe polish…initially it was because I had some, and didn’t want to wait, but it worked so well I’ve just stuck with it.

3 Likes

Makes sense. I’ll have to try it.

2 Likes

Looks great Phil!

1 Like

For such a light leather use Kiwi neutral. (It’s what all the military uses for the added shine, and should just leave a protective layer without coloring it.) :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Even the colored ones don’t add much color, just a hint. I really like the effect of the tan on natural PG leather – gives it a really pretty honey tone.

1 Like

I went from IT to psych…turns out it’s ALWAYS psych’s problem. Can’t figure out what’s causing the patient’s symptoms? Order a psych consult, the patient obviously has conversion disorder. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

And then one day in your cynical smugness you decide to whip out one more easy “conversion disorder” consult real quick before you go home, and low and behold it IS conversion disorder, and you’re still there 5 hours later…

3 Likes

Although I just may have gotten an order from another company for 500 of these with thier logo… they are going to get what ever finish is on the proofgrade.

2 Likes