Warning about 3D engrave and Proofgrade

I discovered that you should not place a design you plan to 3D engrave such that it overlaps on the Proofgrade sticker – this is one I was working on using Proofgrade Maple Hardwood:

14 Likes

Bummer :roll_eyes: But yeah, the sticker is thin but it acts just like masking and will take pews to get through it. This is why I always turn my PF material over so the sticker is on the back. Hopefully you only had one screwed up piece.

5 Likes

Yep – just the one – thanks.

1 Like

Had that happen to me on a standard engrave one time, I wonder if they’ll ever move over to the U.V. ink on the masking they were talking about. Not a big problem, definitely not their first priority, but still would be nice eventually.

3 Likes

I have tinkered a bit with the settings doing 3D engrave on Non-PG material. Similar issue to yours. I have a masking tape that I always run into an issue of the glue being left behind.

1 Like

Thanks for saving us from the same disappointment.

Possible future solution, carefully pull the sticker up and place it somewhere already used?

2 Likes

Or turn it over and engrave the backside. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

That too!

1 Like

I think you could just break out some fabric and make him a nice pair of shorts and everything will be okay.

7 Likes

Thank you for that .

1 Like

:joy: Thanks!

1 Like

LOL My exact thoughts as well. I didn’t want to mention it, but that odd looking highlighted patch at the groin made me do a double take at first lol. I think fun little board shorts on him would look great.:smile:

1 Like

Just looks like the gorilla has a tan line. ha ha

2 Likes

Recently tried to peel the sticker on a piece. When that didn’t work, I flipped it so that there was only masking for the engrave and the sticker only hit the cutting.

1 Like

Take an xacto or equivalent and cut around the sticker, then pull up it and the masking beneath it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My weird brain just thought… laser a hole just left of his torso and tie a little apron on him for silly giggles. Might as well have fun on a less then perfect piece

3 Likes

then cut out space is darker without masking.

1 Like

“I have tinkered a bit with the settings doing 3D engrave on Non-PG material. Similar issue to yours. I have a masking tape that I always run into an issue of the glue being left behind.”

cotton swab and rubbing alcohol, comes right up in a flash

3 Likes