Warranty question for internationals

As all other internationals I am SO excited about the progress of the last months and hope every day to see the first glowforge being sent across the US border. I do understand that the warranty is still valid while the cost for transportation is not covered. However, what happens if the forge is not working 100% on arrival? We have seen some units shipped back for repair/replacement already. While I have to accept that transportation is on me in case something happens 3months down the line,I want to have a working product to start with. What happens if I get the recently reported issue of forge failure when working with none-proof grade material and I only notice this two weeks after delivery: would I have to pay for new transportation for a product that never worked in the first place? Should I do some initial tests to approve the delivery of a working unit? Sorry for the drawn out question but this does seem important…

4 Likes

From the Glowforge Warranty page:

For International Customers, Glowforge will provide a Return Material Authorization label that must be placed inside the box. International Customers are responsible for the cost of shipping an authorized warranty return to Glowforge and for prepayment of return shipping. For repairs not covered by this Limited Warranty, Customer is required to pay the cost of repair and shipping. To obtain service, contact Glowforge at support@glowforge.com or + 1 (855) 338-2122.

I am not a lawyer, but… In other words, if support has determined that there’s an issue they’ve determined was not caused by your own negligence or culpability and have worked with support to resolve it, and within the warranty time period, they will issue an RMA and repair and shipping is covered. (<-- I changed my view on this in a later post)

But if you decide that the Glowforge “just isn’t your thing”, or you dropped a marble statue on the glass cover shattering it, you’re paying for shipping to return the product.

(for international customers:) shipping is covered if it arrives broken. if you make a warranty claim after that, you pay for shipping.

1 Like

As luck would have it, my home internet died before I could reedit my post… :unamused:

Re reading the clause, actually… They’re two separate statements, one doesn’t preclude the other. We pay no matter what.

• International Customers are responsible for the cost of shipping an authorized warranty return to Glowforge and for prepayment of return shipping.
  • For repairs not covered by this Limited Warranty, Customer is required to pay the cost of repair and shipping.
  • We just don’t pay if the package is damaged in delivery?

yes, to all of this.

Another reason why, as bloody annoying as it is, a wait to make sure the shipped units are 100% is a necessity.

It is hard enough to see (with what is most probably a minority of units) USA owners struggle with multiple unit failures and the angst it causes them… and these guys are getting free shipping for their replacement units.
Imagine getting a dud machine and having to spend a fortune to send it back and then get the replacement.

6 Likes

Yep, I am willing to take these risks but I think it shouldn’t be too much to ask for a unit that is working properly on delivery. But this does not seem to be covered from your quotes :thinking:Agee with @bdm, I’d rather wait another agonizing month or two for “teething” issues. But an official reassurance would be great!

This will gave them a negative backlash in the future, and I predict that they will change how they do this. 1000 USD shipping to get something repaired under warranty is not ok. My only comperable experience on this is with the Inventables X-carve, they just solve everything.

1 Like

I have to agree with you, if that is indeed the policy. Sometimes I think the GF folks didn’t really think through all the ramifications of international sales before they jumped in.

7 Likes

@Dan made that assurance on the forum a month or two ago when the question last came up - you will receive a working unit or it’s replaced on their dime. After that it’s the warranty that governs.

1 Like

FWIW, written statements act as extensions to an express warranty, at least here in the US. I believe whichever is more favorable to the consumer.

Just another reason that Dan has to be very careful in his statements.

4 Likes

Correct. Hence his frequent deferrals to the FNLs.

2 Likes

If your Glowforge isn’t working on arrival, we’ll replace it immediately including shipping.

5 Likes