Waste not want not

Or add letters to the middle to make them a form of alphabet “blocks” so kids can spell and play at same time (ooohh patent time ! ) Or come up with a scrabble™ type game using letters on them… :thinking:

2 Likes

It’s wonderful!

1 Like

All good ideas but aren’t space stations, castles, and polymers not enough?

1 Like

With multiple notches you have 3D+ scrabble. Might need rules allowing some directions to be excluded.

4 Likes

Those ones are really cool! Want to loan me your glowforge so I can make a few? just for a few hours of course. I’ll just send it right back to you…buddy old pal…? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

@m_raynsford’s Escher fish. I took the design and broke it apart to have individual fish to place in scraps. There are three fish designs to complete the tiling. Proofgrade walnut ply.

It really becomes a cool puzzle.

38 Likes

Great minds and all that… I’ve been cutting Escher fish out of wood scraps an giving then a bit of color with Touch up pens

Seems to be the laser equivalent of the Sharkz I print in every coil of filament I run through my 3D printer.

41 Likes

Wow, @marmak3261 and @dwardio, both so nice. I do believe there should be an Escher thread. His work has always fascinated me.

8 Likes

Yep! Both super cool! :smile:

2 Likes

One of the interesting things about this design is that I have some paths that are not closed. If I choose to engrave the inside design, it does an interesting interpretation of the paths. I had done this design before I got a Glowforge so I didn’t quite understand this issue. It gets the rays on the tail and fins though so it works to some degree, just not quit as you would expect.

18 Likes

I started cutting them out of the scraps but that eventually gets a bit time consuming so I ended up cutting them from whole sheets instead, least it’s efficient on a whole sheet :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Wow, these Escher pieces are fantastic!

1 Like

Perfect timing — I have a larger project in mind and want to cut a sheet of these. Your SVG at Escher Fish has a gap between each fish. Is there any reason they couldn’t be cut ‘in-place,’ eliminating the gap?

4 Likes

way back in 2012 I was probably compensating for kerf width to make sure they all fit snuggly, now I realise 0.1mm is nothing and I don’t bother.
They’re all aligned vertically to have the wood grain match in the right directions.

5 Likes

Is it supposed to look like a horse head…looks like one to me…is all I’m saying.

1 Like

Nothing intended. Just what resulted from tiling with the pieces I have so far.

2 Likes

Get enough fish to cover the whole table, cut around the edges, add some finish… and you have one heck of a new tabletop.

7 Likes

They do make awesome table tops, each lizard in this pattern is unique.

34 Likes

I think I’m going to have to cut some Penrose tiles. But which type should I make, the kites and darts or the rhombuses? Or Penrose Chickens? :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Now that is just stunning! Just like all your work!

1 Like