Wasted material due to glitch

File iss good and when printing, a few of the elements don’t cut out in the correct place. The machine cut them completely off and etched completely off from the other elements that cut and etched correctly. And now I’m going to be out of material and out the money for purchasing the material. So frustrating.

Got photos? It’s kind of hard to troubleshoot without the visuals.

Did the printhead get bumped or moved while the machine was on?

No

I totally understand how frustrating it is to waste material. A photo would help Support determine the problem/solution.

The bigger issue is are they going to compensate for it. This not the first time this has happened and I have sen others having similar situations.

Was this all done in one pass? Did you engrave parts and then move the design before cutting the rest? Or open the cover partway through? We need a bit more info.

All in one pass and file

The first picture above shows the file and “settings” chosen for each step of the print.

It is almost like the material moved, but I see you had hold down pins. You have had your Glowforge a long time and I assume you have had lots of successes before this failed print?

Almost guaranteed not to be a S/W or processing problem. Looks like a physical problem. Several possibilities. The head hit something on the right side when cutting parts, a belt slipped, or is not tight enough.

5 Likes

Oh no, I’m so sorry your print didn’t turn out as expected.

In order to take a closer look at this for you, would you please send me the following photos?

First, power-off your Glowforge and remove the crumb tray.

1. The belt under your laser arm with the head pushed to the left:

2. The pulley under the laser arm on the right side from the front:

3. The right side pulley under the laser arm from underneath:

Attached are the pictures requested.

Ick, the pulley on the right looks like it has slipped down. I bet that’s the problem.

Thank you for sending us the requested photos from your unit. I noticed an issue with the pulley in the first picture you included. I’ll follow up with you through email to order a replacement and will close this topic.