Wasted wood on edges in GF

Hi, Is there a way to adjust the margins that show on the Dashboard? I seem to waste a lot of wood around the edges using the wood from Glowforge. It’ll give me the red dotted lines, when I know there is plenty of wood there. Thanks!

1 Like

No.

Move the material to print against an edge if it matters that much. The cutting area is defined by the pyhsical limits of the machine.

• Maximum material width: 20″ (515 mm)
  • Cutting area: approx. 11″ (279 mm) deep and 19.5″ (495 mm) wide

(Glowforge - the 3D laser printer)

5 Likes

Orient your material relative to the lower right corner to minimize waste, but no, you cannot adjust the margins. Adjust your design placement.

5 Likes

Oh ok. So the physical limits for the machine are 11 x 19.5? The wood I use from Glowforge reaches the edges of the machine. Ok, I was just checking because of all the wasted wood. I wish it was able to use the entire size of the Glowforge wood. Thank you!

1 Like

You can use all of the material by using the margin scrap for smaller pieces of your designs. When engraving items, the usable area of the Glowforge bed is further diminished based on your engrave settings.

3 Likes

I just offset the full-size GF sheets so my designs cut to those edges. I have tape on the bottom and left plastics sides of the crumb tray, with marks showing the actual cutting area, and I just line up 1 or two edges as required. It’s rare I use an entire sheet in one print.

3 Likes

Yes. I definitely keep all my scraps for smaller things.

1 Like

I tend to make larger items and sometimes I need just a tad more of the wood that I know is there, but I can’t use. Which then I have to use another whole sheet. I’m working on learning how to adjust the size a bit, but then the tabs and the grooves don’t fit together correctly. Like when putting items together. Such as a dollhouse. I don’t understand it, because I group all pieces together and change the size. I figured it would still fit together correctly.

1 Like

If you scale a design, all elements are scaled equally. If you reduce a design’s overall dimensions by 5%, everything will be scaled down by 5%.

1 Like

Perhaps it’s your material thickness. So if you scale the whole thing down, a slot that was sized for a certain sized material thickness is now too skinny to accept the material?

1 Like

Correct. Is there a way to keep those or adjust those slots, so they stay the same for the material thickness?

It will probably require manually adjusting all the slots so that they’re large enough to accommodate your material.

If the design you want to modify is an SVG file, you can load it into a vector editor (like Cuttle, Inkscape, Adobe Illustrator, Affinity Designer, etc) and manually adjust each slot dimension. Tedious but possible.

If it’s a Glowforge design, I think they restrict it from downloading so you might be out of luck, though maybe someone else has ideas…

PS: Part of the reason we started building Cuttle is so that we could make designs that had a “material thickness” parameter that you can change. (For example, all our box templates can be adjusted this way.)

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.