Watch Band Ideas

I’m feeling the urge to 'forge myself a new Apple watch band, either of leather or wood or a combination, but am finding it a bit intimidating, and there’s a spectacular dearth of watch bands in the forums…

There’s the cool wood link watch band, but it’s not really what I’m looking for…

I love love love @Tony’s 2-tone leather band, but that feels a little too advanced for where my leatherworking skills are at present, unless I can find a little more in the way of help.

@Dan posted a tantalizing peek at his living hinge watch band, but it only shows a tiny bit of the band and I really want to see more of the construction before I feel like I can jump in and try it.

Who wants to help me get off high center on this one? Has anybody made one? Any insights/tips?

For leather, what thickness did/would you use, and how many layers? How do you hide/finish the seams on the side that wraps around both the post and the buckle? Does the inside layer need to be shorter than the outside layer so the band will curve, or do you just stitch it together flat and then force it to curve around your wrist?

Anything else a n00b might not think of before jumping in?

1 Like

I’ve pretty much noted that the only push you need is a little encouragement :slight_smile:

I have no doubt whatever you come up with will be awesome!

1 Like

Aww, thanks. I don’t know why this one feels so intimidating! I have been browsing Pinterest while I work up the courage to jump in; maybe I just need to do it a while longer. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I am looking for a Fitbit band as well as a Apple Watch band. So if you get started, I might join you. So for I have no experience, my support would likely just for you to be not alone in this :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s nice to not be alone. :slight_smile:

I looked at LOTS of Pinterest photos yesterday. Now they’ll have a few days to percolate, and maybe by my next day off there will be some ideas formed enough for me to have something to work with. Fingers crossed!

1 Like

Failure is not to be feared, it is our teacher. You may not have the experience with the material to feel comfortable in the attempt, but I have a feeling that is about to change.

I rellish the exploration, and the education that accompanies it.

Our forum here is a remarkable resource. For leather, I would ping @morganstanfield and @Drea.

2 Likes