Watching over my summer drinks

I decided with the warmer weather and sweating drinks I should protect my desks and tables. I worked up these fun little coasters out of some unfinished birch plywood on a retro whim. I like the unfinished ply better for this since they’re more absorbent.

I may try doing a round in cork as well :slight_smile:

81 Likes

Haha! Classic. That’s great… :smile:

3 Likes

Nice bit of nostalgia! You can explain what they represent to the whippersnappers among your guests and have interesting conversations.

4 Likes

As someone who remembers installing games that were housed on 5, 10, 15 floppy disks, I appreciate the sequence “# of #” details on them.

14 Likes

I love that…you made little “Save icon” coasters. :wink:

15 Likes

Dangit, you beat me to it…that cracks me up…poor kids today, never know the joys of having to install games/programs from a stack of these…lol
Although my 13 yo son knows what they are, he still has an issue with why they are called floppy disks…lol

7 Likes

Show him a 5 1/4".

12 Likes

Star Trek: Judgment Rites was…12?or more… of them bad boys. And they were compressed too.

4 Likes

The OS/2 Warp 3.0 operating system was on 30+ floppies if I remember right from when I installed that, but MS Office Pro was something like 50+!

8 Likes

very nice.

1 Like

“Beneath a Steel Sky” for the Amiga was 15

20 Likes

Ah…finally found it. 11 disks.

3 Likes

I remember an '80’s version of AutoCAD that was like 15 of 'em.

5 Likes

And in contrast, AutoDesk Design Suite Premium 2011 (Inventor, AutoCAD, Mechanical, 3DSMAX, Mudbox) originally arrived on 7 DVDs. For the 2012 version they switched to sending out USB sticks.

6 Likes

Or just slide open the shutter on a 3.5" disk to view the (very floppy) disc inside. (Or it’s one with no important data, cut it open to extract the disc.)

3 Likes

I did…his issue is that he’s literal and explained the 5 1/4 disks are in fact floppy but the floppy disks are enclosed and therefore not floppy anymore…lol

2 Likes

Bless him. I guess 3 1/2 disks are non-rigid contained disks if you must.

2 Likes

Did anyone ever sue for false advertising when the 3 1/2 disks came out that were rigid? Perhaps we just called them floppy.

6 Likes

Well… Iomega Jazz drives didn’t play jazz music either so… who wants to go into a class action now? LOL.

3 Likes

My daughter didn’t know what they were for until I explained to her once. She grew up in the CD-ROM age.

2 Likes