Way off target

What am I doing wrong. It’s a new Glowforge. Only had it about a month. I have this lid to a small jewelry box. Total height is 1inch. I unscrewed it from its base. As you can see I lined the engraving so there is plenty of space around it. And as you can see it still tried to engrave at the very bottom edge. We are talking off by at least a 1/2". I did auto for my focus height. And 1" material thickness.

Any help?

image|375x500

You have to have the tray removed and your work piece centered under the camera. Make sure it is propped up to within 1/2 inch of the laser.
Then you use auto focus and make sure the red dot shines on your work piece.
Then you adjust your artwork.
It should laser it exactly where you want.

You cannot have anything over 1/2" material thickness.
You can take out the crumb tray and put it on a support, but then the precise level needs to be known, from where the crumb tray would have been. And still that number would have to be between 0 and 1/2" range

I’m so sorry to hear that you’ve hit this snag. I’ve extracted the log files from your Glowforge to review your most recent prints, and narrow down the alignment snag you’re hitting.

Based on the logs, I recommend recalibrating the camera in your Glowforge to fix it.

You’ll need a 12” x 20” piece of Proofgrade material with no markings or stickers. The feature was designed to be used with a flat piece of medium Proofgrade Draftboard, used upside-down (with the QR code side down). It may work with other materials that are the same size and use the same print settings as well, like Proofgrade plywood.

It prints a grid of markings, takes a picture, then measures its height in multiple locations. This data is used to make your camera more accurate for future prints.

To get started, click on this link: Launch the Camera Recalibrator

Should you finish all of these steps, and find that you have an alignment error of more than 1/4", please measure the accuracy of the camera and send us a screenshot of the results.

Let us know how it goes!

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.