Way off

I was worried about that, too, but if I’d gone up higher I’d be out of camera range. It was actually as high as I could go while seeing the entire sheet in the camera.

That’s a reasonable solution… to a problem that shouldn’t exist. This is the first time I considered such a thing before I pressed the button. Solely because I was working with the real edge of this thing. I trusted my Glowforge though. I should have trusted my instincts.

12 Likes

This is why Ive been hawking 0,0 and numeric positioning since day 1. Optical is great in certain places. In certain places it isnt. Super accuracy is not one of those places.

They might be able to change this a bit once they start making use of the head cam, but until then, Im taping my bed, and drawing outlines on it before doing work.

10 Likes

I am used to being able to position a cut like this in a spot like this. It was way off. The squares were cut way high about 1/4". And I was trying to figure out new settings. Burned the third one so I stopped there.

5 Likes

I have as well, from the moment I became an owner.

I never really thought about it much. Until tonight.

So maybe I’m not delusional? It used to be more accurate? Because I gotta say, I never had a positioning issue before. But this is a new unit, so we’re still getting to know each other.

2 Likes

Recalibrating between cuts can make a big difference with accuracy. Sometimes Ive bumped the gantry/head a little when removing material, and it doesnt track that movement, so it offsets the print from the original calibration. Opening/closing the lid might affect camera alignment as well (not sure on this one).

4 Likes

Watch closely when you make a jump from 250% zoom to 300% zoom. The position of the artwork in relation to the bed image of the material will change! It goes back if you zoom out to 250% again, but if you position stuff at 300% it’s gonna be way out from where it needs to be. And it looks like the aspect ratio of the bed/material image gets narrower/squished.

15 Likes

First job of the day.

Could be. Never noticed that if it does happen.

1 Like

That is something that I don’t see zoomed in. That pink dot is moving!

1 Like

I’ve never seen that happen. And I almost always zoom to 300% to position.

Okay, I just ran a few test cuts and the placement was dead on…

Going to do some engrave placements to see how they work out. (We might need to give GF a heads-up on this if it repeats across several machines.)

(Oh wait…they’re monitoring this category now anyway.)

Back in a minute or two. (system decided to reboot)

Okay - it’s off by exactly 0.90 mm, and I think that’s because I left a little edge uncovered with the engraving when I placed it…I should have zoomed in farther.

Don’t know what to tell you…this seems pretty close to me. Whatever is going on in the machines it doesn’t appear to be universal. (@marmak3261, I would expect yours and mine to be different from the Production units because we have PRU models…they might not count towards whatever is happening.)

@mpipes and @Tom_A - did you refresh the screen image before trying to line up an added piece of artwork? Or did you do a cut or something, and then Add Artwork to it without refreshing the image?

The afterimage for the cuts tends to be way off from the original camera placement. Refreshing the image and re-entering the height value tends to align things a lot better if you are adding something to a previous cut. (Just something I’ve noticed.)

4 Likes

Ah crud. Off to email I go then… LOL.

Edit: Nevermind. Just switched browsers and this doesnt happen in Chrome.

6 Likes

I have seen this, granted with my condo situation I have only done a few cuts, but I put a coaster 1/4 from bottom of PG maple ply and it cut at the line and I even have a flat spot in the coaster

1 Like

Reason 1,562 why everybody should always use Chrome… for everything in life.

4 Likes

Placed the images on a fresh scan. It was the 1st job of the day.

For some reason chrome is not working on my desktop machine. Forcing me to use the next best, Firefox.

Guess it’s better than Netscape 3.5. :wink:

1 Like

I was using Chrome to access the interface. @mpipes which one did you switch from that was shifting the dot? (Cause that might be of interest to the support team.)

BTW… Working loosely on @takitus’ recommendation, I’m using the first sheet as a reference for a seconds sheet. Simply adjusted my focus/material height and laid the new on the old. Coming out way better. From now on I guess I’ll have to presume the accuracy will be off and make an outline.

1 Like

I have see where Chromium has been installed (by choice or spyware) and it screws up Chrome (even with a clean Chrome install).

Normally I will uninstall Chrome and try to find the uninstaller for Chromium. More times than not, I have manually delete all locations of Chromium files then do a clean install of Chrome after a reboot.

Now this is on Windows machines. Have not had to do a Chromium removal on Mac.

I was using Safari.

1 Like