Way Way Off Topic: Favorite Books/Series

Oh this is awesome thank you. We ebook and audio book a lot this is perfect!

I was discussing this book with @markevans36301 at Maker Faire and we remarked that a Best Books thread would be a great topic! Please reply with your own recommendations.

I just finished The Last Days of Night, which has the most boring premise ever (the biography of Westinghouseā€™s patent attorney) but is actually a fantastic riproaring adventure through the earliest days of Tesla, Edison, and electricity.

Highly recommended!

21 Likes

Now on my ā€œholdā€ list at the library!

1 Like

Thanks for remembering Dan, Iā€™ll get one or two posted here myself.
This is on my ever growing TBR list.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been reading the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson recently. So far, theyā€™ve all been great. Thanks @millersw.628 for the recommendation!

5 Likes

Hum, where have I seen this idea before? :grinning:

2 Likes

THATā€™S where I got the idea to read The Dresden Files from! OK, Iā€™ll duplicate this to that one. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Havenā€™t started a new book since I got my pre-release. But William Gibson has two new ones coming out, one next month and another in the spring. Definitely will get into them.

3 Likes

I fully support reading Dresden Files! By far my favorite book series, currently! Now if only heā€™ll finish Peace Talks.

2 Likes

Just finished Mistborn series on Audiobook (Libby App rocks!). The series is phenomenal. It shows very clearly the premise that good books are about characters. But it ALSO has an amazing worldbuilding and awesome plotline.

Each of the first two books end on a massive ā€œScrew you, there is clearly another book and you absolutely want to read it IMMEDIATELY!ā€ note. I am glad I didnā€™t read the series as it was released.

And in the first two books there are some plotholes that wind up being cleared up in the third book in such a phenomenal manner.

I went ahead and started on the follow-up trilogy today. Was against it at first, because it is all new characters. But I am now two hours or so into the book, and know I will be doing the full trilogy again.

5 Likes

I am a huge fan of the Mistborn series as well. If you like those ones you will also like the ones in ā€œThe Stormlight Archiveā€ Series.

1. The Way of Kings
  2. Words of Radiance
  3. Oathbringer - Canā€™t wait to get my hands on it. supposed to come out in Nov. this year.

Brandon Sanderson is Amazing! :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Loved Year Zero, esp. the audio book read by John Hodgeman. Now reading After On ā€“ interesting, funny, frightening, and a few ā€œinsiderā€ references to YZ.

1 Like

Yes! Now I want a BrainPalā„¢ to :glowforge: interface :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I havenā€™t been reading any decent books lately, but Iā€™ve started watching episodes of the Philip K Dickā€™s Electric Dreams series.

https://g.co/kgs/48tc2h

1 Like

Not her bestā€¦ I tolerated that one.
I just re-read Book of a Thousand Days, and I rather like her most recent Princess Academy. That series improves each book, while her Bayern series started strong and got slightly less brilliant.

Iā€™m into Brandon Sandersonā€™s 3rd Mistborn right now. Plan to finish the series; but Iā€™m out of audible credits, so I may have to resort to the library to finish it. Iā€™m not waiting three months.
Gearing up for Wheel of Time series, which is apparently quite a commitment, but well worth the time according to those who have done it.

I know Harry Potter is overplayed; but I think it may be about the most perfect long series out there. Itā€™s seriously good. The movies are another story altogether, and not nearly as praiseworthy. (yes I know every argument about books turned to movies, and it just wasnā€™t done well at all.) If you are craving more magic after Harry Potter, Septimus Heap (angie Sage) is a 7-part series thatā€™s about half as good.
I love CS Lewis.
My kids and I have done two of Riordenā€™s Heroes series on audiobook, and then I rebought them to get the kids turning pages. For me to purchase a book twice at retail says something fairly complimentary.

People have mentioned fabulous books on here. Much to agree with.

I tend to gravitate toward YA in fiction.
I love several biographies. I love His Excellency by Joseph Ellis about George Washington. That man was incredible and unreal and wouldnā€™t have been elected in our century or the lastā€¦ too good. Unfortunately, current culture craves leadership from critically flawed characters and distrusts disciplined virtue.
I know David McCullough is everywhere; but thatā€™s because he writes so you want to read. John Adams is my favorite of his.
I also love Laura Hillenbrand. She made a horse into a gripping character. A Horse!?!

1 Like

I came down here just to mention Mistborn. Iā€™m on book 2 (book 3 is supposed to be amazing). I donā€™t read books often, but Iā€™m loving it! I got into it because I funded a Kickstarter for the board game (made by Kevin Wilson, my fav board game designer).

(spoilers below)

I think I know who the bad Kandra spy is as well in book two, but the story is taking forever to reveal it. Iā€™m slightly disappointed in Vin for not knowing who it is! But Iā€™m pretty sure its her own Kandra, if theyā€™re allowed to eat each otherā€¦ OreSeur changed his behavior pretty dramatically, and Zane/Straff are getting a lot of info. Plus heā€™s joining in all the meetings

1 Like

I didnā€™t figure it out.
I have read it before (several years,) and I STILL didnā€™t figure it out.

Youā€™re pretty good. I think she isnā€™t figuring it out because she is building trust with the spy - and itā€™s going both ways.

Book 2 Mistborn spoilers

Yeah Iā€™m really curious to see where this goes. Kandra always are weird and donā€™t make much sense, and this one especially keeps dodging certain questions to his ā€œmasterā€ (pretty sure thats not in the contract lol). Donā€™t spoil it for me, but I hope the new Kandra and her actually get along (full well knowing that Kandra donā€™t care about humans except to follow the contract). Maybe at some point Straff dies and she obtains the contract? Itā€™s still pretty vague how it works :slight_smile:

Let me know how you feel about book 3. People actually said book two is filler and three is amazing, but so far book 2 has kept me hooked!

I really do like how the Kandra resolves in book 2.
Itā€™s one of the subplots of book 3 that really keeps me in. Iā€™m hopeful that it works out to my satisfaction.
There are things about 3 that are slightly annoying; but Iā€™m only in the first 100 pages, so Iā€™m sure the annoying things are there because thatā€™s how you get to the end.

1 Like

@cmreeder: Yes, Wheel of Time was phenomenal.

Do not read it at the same time as Sword of Truth thoughā€¦ I had been reading both of those as they released, and it got REALLY confusing. So many parallels in the broad strokes of the narratives, and each has so VERY many characters that disappear for a while, but return and need remembered (which prompts cross-over memory issues for me).

I have been doing Septimus Heap via actual reading with my 8 year old for bedtime stories for a while now. Those are quite nice, and look promising for having a solid full-series narrative flow. On audiobook for car rides we have been doing Artemis Fowl, which is similarly phenomenal for carrying a story through multiple books.

2 Likes