Wazer: Personal Waterjet Cutter (Kickstarter)

Their website is very short on actual info…but it’s a very great idea. Tons of possibilities

1 Like

You and I think most of us here.

4 Likes

They also use diamond, ruby, and other things for the nozzles. Here’s a company that appears to make and/or sell them…

3 Likes

Interesting, Thanks for that!

2 Likes

Did you get any idea what sets them apart from tinyjet? Sounds like we got 2 competing groups, from what I can tell both originated from the same project…

1 Like

Hmmm… I wasn’t aware of tinyjet. I’ll look 'em up and report back.

1 Like

Looks like it is called Tinijet:

Looks like Wazer may be further along.

@brandtmeister did the investigation! He asked Wazer what the difference was between their product and Tinijet, and the Adam from Wazer’s response was the following:

"Thanks for the email. Good question about Tinijet. I of course can’t really speak to their product, as it’s not really available for purchase yet, but we have been in contact with them in the past and we know a bit about it.

"Main difference: Their machine’s water pump is driven by compressed air, so in order to operate their waterjet, you need to hook it up to a pressurized air source. And not just any source, because their spec sheet says it requires 264 gallons of air per minute at 100 psi to operate. That’s like 13.4 horsepower of air! Most people don’t have compressed air in their homes, so they won’t be able to operate that machine. And for the people with shop air compressors in their garage or fablabs/makerspaces with a lab air supply, those are typically supplied by standard ~2 HP compressors. A 13+ HP compressor is a beast of an industrial machine and would probably cost upwards of $3000 itself! So don’t forget to add that on to their price if you’re thinking about their machine.

"On the other hand, our waterjet can be run in any standard residential home or hobby shop with things you already have: just plug it into a standard 110v electrical outlet, then hook it up to your faucet and drain. That’s it! Super easy! Literally any household can run our machine.

“Another difference: we’re launching our kickstarter tomorrow! Hope to see you as a backer : )”

Thanks, @brandtmeister!

7 Likes

Now we have replies from Tinijet, thanks to @brandtmeister:

In a series of emails, they indicated the following:

• They’re also launching their Kickstarter next week.
  • Their machine currently requires an industrial grade high pressure pump.
  • The biggest difference between Tinijet and Wazer will likely be in price / working pressure.
  • They aren’t connected in any way to Wazer’s origins–Tinijet is based out of France.
2 Likes

From tinyjet’s reply it looks like they are integrating the pressure system with the cutter. That’s why they delayed coming out with it. I guess the wazer coming out they need to pull the trigger as well. Their goal is to also have only a 110v power supply and no external air.

So currently it’s a water pump vs air pump based system as far as I can tell. Let’s see what more details we get from both campaigns.

1 Like

Pricing e-mail. I’ll have to stick with light cutting and forego water cutting for awhile. Starts tomorrow. Get on it early for the best deal.

As a subscriber of our newsletter, we’ve decided to give you a sneak peek at what the pricing of WAZER is going to be ahead of the launch.

We’ve worked really hard to get a desktop waterjet priced this low. Despite the engineering challenges, we’ve been committed to the idea that a waterjet should be affordable to everyone from the individual hobbyist, to the small business owner.

So without further ado.
Early-bird WAZER backers: $3,599 (40% off $5,999 MSRP) 30 units

Batch 1 WAZER backers: $3,999 (30% off $5,999 MSRP) 120 units

Batch 2 WAZER backers: $4,499 (25% off $5,999 MSRP) 150 units

1 Like

And for anyone not experienced with pre-order campaigns… they usually open a few hours earlier than the actual announcement so that the “insider” community can snatch up those ultra-cheap ultra-limited units.

Since they are only as specific as “starts tomorrow” that is harder to figure out when it is available and snag the early bird units. But still… may not hurt to look at 9pm tonight.

3 Likes

Once again, my circadian rhythms will cost me…

1 Like

Other emails have said 9 eastern, we will see.

I just got an e-mail from them that says they’re starting the super-early bird pricing Monday, September 12, at 9AM EST. The price will be $400 lower than the regular early kickstarter pricing, for a limited number of units. If any of y’all have a hankering for this pricing, contact me and I’ll work with you to get you in. (I won’t be buying one–not ready to drop the cashish quite yet.)

1 Like

I plan to order one. As long as I get in the first batch.

2 Likes

First batch is probably going like hot cakes. I really like to review specs and let the details sink in. We’ll see how it pans out. Not that my workshop space is ready anyways…

1 Like

The official specs from Tinijet are 264 gallons per minute at 87 PSI (6 bar). 264 gallons is about 35 cubic feet. Yeah, a compressor capable of pumping 35 CFM at 87 PSI is going to be expensive!

Of course, you don’t necessarily need a compressor to be supplying that air, you could get it from a tank that was slowly filled beforehand.

I wonder how big of a tank you’d need to do one minute of continuous cutting…

Explanation removed because it was ramble-y. I can rewrite it if anyone wants.

If you had an unlimited supply of 145 PSI air, you could use 168 gallons of it to cut for one minute straight. With, say, 60 gallons of 145 PSI air, you could cut for about 21.5 seconds.

But, that doesn’t mean a 60-gallon tank would let you cut for 21.5 seconds because, once you start using the air, the pressure inside the tank will start dropping. Once it gets to 87 PSI you’re not going to have enough pressure to run the Tinijet any more. I figure you could use about 36% of the air in the tank before you got to 87 PSI so I would bet that means you could get 36% of 21.5 seconds which is just a little less than 8 seconds. That… doesn’t sound like much cutting. :confused:

Hopefully I’ve made an error here or made an assumption that isn’t true.

Here’s a video showing the Tinijet cutting for 12 minutes, 28 seconds…

Possible Wazer specs from a YouTube video…

[quote]Project Details:
I was the lead mechanical designer on this project
and custom designed a fully waterproof and environmentally sealed XY
gantry that would be able to withstand the water and abrasive from the
waterjet. The waterjet has a cutting work space of 12"x14" and yet the
machine is entirely self-contained to a footprint of only 2 feet by 2
feet, meaning that it can be easily rolled through a doorway and fit in
the corner of any room. As well, it requires only a typical electrical
outlet and shop air supply to run, making it a feasible option for
universities, hobbyists, and small businesses with a budget of $5000 or
less. The waterjet is low maintenance, requires only minimal training to
run, and is able to cut through 1/4" aluminum and 1/8" steel to a
tolerance of 0.005". [/quote]

The video…

Thanks!
I’ll need to see if they need a water hookup and amount of pressure… on a well and workshop has no water line…

1 Like