Weakened engrave

When I try to engrave Medium Basswood ply it doesn’t even reach through the paper layer on the top. Anyone know why that would happen?

1 Like

Check the settings listed on the thumbnail. The default for Unknown Material is 1% power to keep from accidentally ruining material. If you changed out the material without changing back to Proofgrade settings on an already opened file, it can appear to be doing nothing.

3 Likes

Maybe try it on Monday-Friday?

Aaaah? …aaaaah?

Get it? Weekend engrave? Is this thing on??

4 Likes

I think @Jules probably has it right, but if it’s not settings, the next thing is to clean your lenses and mirrors.

https://glowforge.com/support/topic/cleaning-service-and-moving/cleaning#things-that-need-wiping

What are you engraving?
I only leave the masking in place with deep, solid engraves. For anything photographic I remove the masking, else the light details will never burn all the way down past the paper into the wood.

3 Likes

I’m so sorry your engrave didn’t come out as expected.

I extracted the logs to investigate the problem you reported and I noticed that your design is largely grey, and the Proofgrade settings you used include the greyscale setting “Vary power”.

I recommend converting your artwork to black instead of grey.

More details about the Vary power setting.

Please let us know if that fails to resolve the issue, or if you have any other questions.

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.