Weather and the filter hose out the window

Also in Utah. The kids go outside for the snow, and the mice and spiders come in. I did pre-order the GF filter, but also plan on using an outdoor vent, but have been likewise concerned about undesirables getting access to the house through it. I think it should be easy to make a sort of blast gate to seal off the vent using the Glowforge itself.

In Nevada we had installed several vents to different pieces of equipment to vent exhaust directly outside. The shorter vents became enticing places for the creepy crawlies of the high desert to enter the shop. We solved the problem using a truck cab-air filter which let the exhaust out, and kept the spiders from getting in.

5 Likes

I wonder if an automotive pre-filter would work? This one is made for a 4" diameter cone-filter, might be able to slip it over a 4" exhaust fitting.

4 Likes

That is 100% worth a try. Thank you very much

I had not thought of using the truck filter, that is incredibly creative solution. It worked pretty well for keeping the crawling things out?

Worked just fine. We had tried a flapper cap, but the outgoing pressure wasnā€™t enough to keep the flap open without pushing out the exhaust elsewhere in the system. I imagine one of those stainless steel dishwashing pads would work just as well and be available more abundantly.

For the Glowforge, I am still planning on installing some sort of hard gate to keep the heat in the house, and prevent the atmospheric moisture from coming back into the machine when itā€™s not in use.

2 Likes

I ordered the Basic and the filter. I was planning on using the filter when weather was really bad. I was planning on setting something up for out the window on days when the weather is better. I have thought about installing another vent more and more. I have a spot that would work really well. Just have to convince my wife to let me put it in that spot. :slight_smile:

@dan Utah is really close to Washington. :wink: And we practically have a Users group alreadyā€¦

@winkelkotter, @nick07lee, @cmreeder, @mspricethelibrarian, @Tuck I think Utah Glowforge Group of Users UGFGU would be a good name. :glowforge:

8 Likes

Very palindromic. The artwork on the logo will be amazing. UGFGU 4EVR!

5 Likes

Oh I like it. And Iā€™m in! UGFGU 4LIFE

4 Likes

That filter looks interesting! Good find.

3 Likes

By the way, if you donā€™t have a backflow preventer flap or a blast gate, you would be wise to disconnect the hose at night or the cold will come in and the Glowforge will get colder than recommended environmental conditions.

And then donā€™t forget to reconnect the hose next day when you print. You will quickly find out if you havenā€™t. Cough, cough.

13 Likes

Since weā€™re talking about the exhaust hose here, does anyone know if we can extend the hose safely? Also if the fan is powerful enough to vent the exhaust out longer lengths of hose? Iā€™m curious because I may need to move my Glowforge around my basement.

3 Likes

This is a good find like @mspricethelibrarian said. Thank you posting again.

My guess would be that they made it as long as is recommended if the airflow isnā€™t helped. But I could be wrong.

1 Like

That is a good point. Also I assume thereā€™s devices out there you could buy to assist the airflow in the hose, it might not hurt to have a little extra push away from the Glowforge anyway.

1 Like

What if the piece with the hole for the hose was between glass and screen - or somehow that if ā€œinstalledā€ the window still closes. Then , whenever ā€œforgingā€ youā€™d open the window and attach the hose ( thinking magnetic? clips? Velcro?). When finished, pop off hose and close/lock windowā€¦ :thinking:

8 Likes

That sounds like the voice of experience (or the cough of experience, as the case may be).

3 Likes

Dan has stated that the air flow out of the Glowforge is sufficient to handle up to 8 feet of tube without any assistance, but that if you need to go farther than that, you will need to include an in-line fan to help out the airflow.

7 Likes

Iā€™ll definitely be experimenting with something like this!! As of right now my plan is to have some sort of vent attachment that can be easily placed and removed from my window (or, as you said, left between the screen and glass!) so that I can close my window after 'forging.

2 Likes

There it is. Thatā€™s perfect thank you.

1 Like

Well said. It never hurts to be safe.

2 Likes