Weeding tool recommendations

Ther are far too many nuts already and not enough room for cherries.

5 Likes

I find that the only weeding tool I use looks like this. The point is thick enough not to flex, and it is easy to grip near the business end, so you can hold it like a pen.

I have dental picks of various sorts too and never like using them.

4 Likes

I got my dental picks from my dental hygenicyst. At some point they can’t keep them sharp enough for dental work so they throw them away. But they are still sharp enough for my needs, which is mostly just checking the material was cut all the way through. So just politely ask staff in your dentist’s office for their cast-offs.

4 Likes

Oh, great idea…I see my dentist tomorrow for biannual cleaning :grin:

2 Likes

I too got my dental tools from my dentist. I used to collect artifacts found in the UK by metal detectorists, sold on eBay. I have an enormous collection but no longer add to it. I had great fun with my dental tools and magnifying glass picking away at millennia of dirt, as they usually sold by the bagful before being thoroughly cleaned. Fascinating. Now, I use the tools for weeding…not nearly so romantic, but definitely works really well.

2 Likes

Thanks @AhnoldZ and @Xabbess for the idea. Saw my dentist this morning and scored a few!

7 Likes

Oooh…nice thick handles too!

2 Likes

Exactly!!! The cheap ones are thin crappy handles…lol

3 Likes

Yay! All hygienically sealed, too. Thank goodness for that, eh? ha ha. Ya…mine are pretty old now and have thin handles. My grip is getting worse all the time, it seems, so thicker handles are a bonus. Good score!

2 Likes

I mostly use the pink one from this set. (You can also buy the tools individually, but the set is usually really cheap on Amazon.)

I also use the yellow one for scraping off big areas of masking.

2 Likes

I inherited one of these from my mother that was in a bunch of sewing stuff, but would be very useful in this application…
https://www.amazon.com/Combicut-Seam-Ripper-Tweezers-Teal/dp/B0143JHO2K/ref=sr_1_3?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1535070991&sr=1-3&keywords=tweezer+seamripper

1 Like

I don’t have any specific tools for weeding. I use duct tape, smooth it down over the work piece and rip it off, repeat a few times if required and its done, quick and easy. I’m sure i seen that tip on this forum somewhere, just cant remember where?

Ha! Up until now I’ve only cut wood. I’ve just cut my fist acrylic piece …now I realise the need for weeding tools. Lol.

1 Like