On November 3rd I received my Golden Email. I responded that same day. Within a couple of weeks I received my Proofgrade materials. Based upon the Golden Email date, the 15th of December should mark the end of the 6 week time frame for delivery.
I’ve posted about the lack of shipping info for my glowforge previously, when it appeared that many others who had received the Golden Email at the same time, or after, myself were receiving their units. @Dan responded and informed me, and several other Pro owners, that Basics were being primarily produced due to availability of parts and that we should still expect to receive our units within the 6 week window. In another topic, those of us with Pro units in this situation were told to sit tight and inform email@example.com if we entered into week 6 without shipping info.
Thursday, Dec 7, marked the end of Week 5 for me, and I had not yet heard anything regarding shipping (either from GF or from UPS MyChoice). As expected, I received the auto-reply email telling me that I may not hear back from GF for up to three days. Today is Sunday, Dec 10, and, depending on the interpretation of “days,” whether or not that means “work days” or “week days” or simply “calendar days,” it has been roughly 3 days since that email and I have yet to receive a reply.
Ordinarily, after more than two years waiting, I would simply sit patiently - whats another couple of weeks? However, if the 6 week window is missed by more than about 24 hours, there will be major logistical issues that will probably result in the unit not being delivered until, at the very least, the beginning of January.
I am posting here because, anecdotally, it seems that responses/attention to issues progress significantly quicker here - as opposed to via email, and it is important that I get some visibility on this issue quick enough to make the necessary arrangements for whatever situation is present.
I would, preferably, like shipping info to be sent and shipping to be guaranteed by Friday, 15 Dec. I understand this may not be possible, in which case I need to communicate with someone who can control the shipping of the unit so that alternate arrangements can be made to receive it.