Weihnachtspyramide

Getting ready for the holiday season with a decidedly German flair. This Teelichtspyramide (tea-light pyramide) is adapted from a paid pattern by Volker Arnold. All but three pieces were made on my GF – the blade hub, brass axle, and glass bearing (under the turntable). This turned out so well, I’m thinking about tackling a traditional 3-tier version.

/uploads/db6859/original/3X/4/b/4b8b5a443a57f47c06485d5b99fad92055fde229.MOV

56 Likes

Lovely!

2 Likes

That’s cool, I’ve never seen those. :no_mouth:

2 Likes

Love it! We used to have brass ones with angels that would rotate with the heat of the candle.

6 Likes

Very nice indeed! I’m amazed there’s enough heat to turn that large turbine. The speed is just right—you wouldn’t want it to be whipping around too fast.

4 Likes

With the tiny candles, it’s very sensitive to drafts in the room. Taller/closer would be more consistent, but increases the chance of soot & char.

4 Likes

Oh bravo! I love those things! :grinning:

3 Likes

You did a beautiful job on this. When I was young, we had a similar thing but it was made of brass and used small candles (think birthday cake) for the heat. Oh…just like the one @arh2 mentioned.

4 Likes

I love these things! Hope you do make more…

2 Likes

Really neat!

Oh, I love these!!!

My brother and sister-in-law went to Germany last year just to take in the Christmas markets that get set up all over. They are especially interested in the smoking guys, but the candle animated designs were a big hit. I thought about the big carousel build and wondered how it could be transformed into a candle powered wheel.

Nice build.

4 Likes

Sounds like more than one of us revisited our childhood with your post! Nice job!

2 Likes

Turned out beautiful.

Wood + Fire = Do not leave unattended while in operation!

Note, not as elegant perhaps, but a small ~40W incandescent bulb might work about as well as the candles without the fire risk. And you could get them closer to the fan blades so the operation wouldn’t be as affected by drafts in the room.

Considering these are sold by the millions worldwide, I think the risk from a sensibly designed one is minimal.

3 Likes

Wood? With exposed flames to make it work? Yikes. Can’t imagine any of them got a UL listing. :slight_smile:

All I can think of is Christmas Vacation. Very nice. I still can’t pronounce it :joy:

2 Likes

Vi (rhymes with ‘eye’) - nocks - pee - ra- meed - uh. :wink:

2 Likes

So cool