Weird failure to cut a part out

Yes, it is treated as a group. Anything surrounded by a closed path is treated as a group. (So the engrave limits apply to the cut as well.)

It might be a group but with the engrave part inside the engrave limits and the cut inside the cut limits there is no reason to do the engrave but not the cut. It looks like a bug.

Without seeing the source image I can’t see what you’re seeing. To me, I’d guess that the “feet” are the same color. As such, they’d be “grouped” together. But that has nothing to do with grouping things in your design application, it just has to do with the fact that they’re the same color. If you’d made one foot blue and the other one green, grouped them together in your design app, the GFUI would see them as two separate objects that could be assigned different settings each.

Here’s some screenshots illustrating what’s happening.

“A” and “B” are contained completely within their respective boxes, thus the GFUI says “OK, group these items together for easier moving/layout,” even though they were NOT grouped together in Inkscape. GFUI is treating them as one object.

Now the weird behavior here is that selecting “A” shows the out of bounds area for engraving at the left, while selecting “B” does not. Both the cut and engrave for “A” get ignored (turns grey) as soon as any part crosses the bounds, while “B” can be pushed right to the edge for the cutting operation.

“C” was set up outside of its box, thus the GFUI does not interpret any intent that they need to maintain relative positioning between them. They can be moved freely about and the location of one does not impact the boundary for the other.

3 Likes

So that would be valid if BOTH didn’t cut the red one did and the green one did not…

Exactly.

For further clarity:

The “feet” cuts and cut around the “sign” are all the same shade of red. The feet can each be selected separately even though the same color and operation on the left. The feet are not a copied layer. They were two layers in AI. The sign is grouped by the GFUI and elements within it can’t be selected separately even though they are separate operations on the left.

This is why I would like to be able to “select” (for move or delete or copy) elements on the bed by clicking on operations on the left.

I would also like encapsulated elements to still follow margin limits based on their operation and not grouping.

Thanks for posting about this. I’m sorry for the delay in my response.

I’m taking a look and I’ll update the thread when I have more information.

Since the ‘F’ is enclosed in the triangle, the F has the same print boundaries as the triangle.

Thank you so much for all your feedback, including the description of inconsistencies. We really appreciate it and I’ve shared it with the team.

If you have any other questions, please post a new topic.