Weird misaligned cut

I has a weird cut happen this morning.

Here is an image of the cut path in the UI.

Here is how it came out:

Close up:

I tried it a second time with the same Design in the UI, and got pretty much the same result a second time. So it’s repeatable. I’m trying a different design now to see what happens.

Any ideas on how to fix this? Is it a loose belt or something like that?

Thanks.

I’ve now tried it on several designs, and it’s not the design. There seems to be a drift in the forward/backward motion somehow. Things are not aligned as they should be over time.

Perhaps my machine simply needs to be cleaned. Although it may also need new belts or something. Has anyone else experienced this?

1 Like

It looks like it is jumping a gear on the belt occasionally. Tightening the belt might help till you can get a new one. :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

Definitely might want to check the tension on the two side belts…clean them and clean the pulleys…those can sometimes get a little bit of debris in them that will bump it.

5 Likes

Oh no, I’m sorry you’ve hit a snag.

As others have mentioned, it’s possible one of your belts is loose. To help us narrow down the trouble, could you check the tension of your belts for me?

When pressing lightly on one side of the belt, the other side should not move.

Like this:

(You should see an animated image above)

If a belt is loose, you can follow this link for instructions to adjust the tension of the carriage plate belt or here to adjust the tension of the side belt. Please reply with a photo of the belt if you are unsure about the tension.

Next, could you please do the following?

1. Turn off your Glowforge
  2. Remove the carriage plate from the laser arm
  3. Closely inspect the carriage plate wheels from the top for any cracks or other damage
  4. Closely inspect the sides of the wheels for any cracks or other damage
  5. If you notice anything damaged or out of place, please take a photo and attach it to your reply.

Hi @polarbrainfreeze. It’s been a while since Jeremy’s response, and we wanted to check in with you to see if you’re still running into any alignment issues with recent prints. Feel free to post any of the requested photos and we’ll be happy to review them for any next steps to help. Thank you!

Sorry, I have not been able to get back to this, it’s been a busy week.

I cleaned off the belts and the tension looks good.

I just tried another cut and it looks almost back to normal. There is a very small drift still. I’ll check the wheels for cracks tomorrow morning and report back.

1 Like

Hi @polarbrainfreeze - we’re glad to hear things are moving in the right direction. Let us know how the wheels look, fingers crossed!

Hi @polarbrainfreeze. I just wanted to check in with you to see if you were still running into any trouble. I’ll be happy to help out, and I’ll keep this thread open for the next two days just in case. I’ll look forward to any updates. Thank you!

Hi @polarbrainfreeze. It’s been a couple days since I saw any activity, so I’ll go ahead and close this thread. If you need any further help, feel free to start a new thread, or write us at support@glowforge,com, and we’ll be here to help. Thank you.