Weirder cube thing

36 Likes

That last photo is so cool. How did you design it; or did it just come into being?

Looks like the original times six! Nice.

Little bit of both.

I deigned it originally as a cube a few years ago and made it out of paper. The idea to link multiples together just came to me this week and worked out perfectly.

2 Likes

I love it how an idea, blooming before its time, comes back again fully-formed. Sometimes it just takes the right circumstances and luck. And as my stepdad would say, “The harder you work the luckier you are.”

3 Likes

They are so cool!

2 Likes

This is what happens when designs run amok.

5 Likes

Is it sentient?

2 Likes

3D Kumiko?

1 Like

As much as I like these, I fear you are about to open a portal to another dimension.

2 Likes

Reminds me of the Nova Plexus…

1 Like

Yeah I can see that. I’ve since made two more models based on similar principles, I just haven’t posted them yet.

They’re woven together and rely on internal tension to lock the pieces in place. Maybe I’ll get to it today.

1 Like

Tensegrity?

Not exactly I don’t think, because I believe tensegrity relies on tension by definition? I guess more precisely mine rely on stress and strain.

I should google tensegrity and see if this counts.

Ok wiki says:

Tensegrity , tensional integrity or floating compression is a structural principle based on a system of isolated components under compressioninside a network of continuous tension, and arranged in such a way that the compressed members (usually bars or struts) do not touch each other while the prestressed tensioned members (usually cables or tendons) delineate the system spatially.[1]

And in my case the compressed members touch each other and so it’s not a tensegrity.

5 Likes