Super Glowforge survives battle with the Brown Menace! Kryptonian technology comes through for truth, justice, and the Maker Way!

The default name when you get to the ‘pick your name’ page is ‘Geordi la forge’ or something like that.

1 Like

Glad it’s working! What a nerve-wracking day.

All good. I had that one in the back of my mind since the beginning too. They can be cousins.

1 Like

Can confirm, didn’t see my reaction. :scream:[quote=“joe, post:31, topic:8489”]
UPS was not gentle with my box, either.
[/quote]

You would not believe what they go through at the test lab. Something like a 32 inch straight drop. Three times. On all sides.

I’ve been getting updates on this as it unfolded and was so very pleased to hear. Hurray!

Also, what the what re: automotive parts.

All credit due to both the mechanical team (for the tank) and the logistics & operations team (for the protective tank carrier).

I’m no box expert, but I’m pretty sure the cardboard’s main purpose in life is keeping the very expensive and carefully designed foam from falling out.

24 Likes

Bonus. Free AC valve!

2 Likes

I just did a really really nice glass engrave. However, as I had tested it and restarted it and fired a couple times on the same piece of glass, I’ve got a nasty band on the bottom edge were it took several passes. Look forward to a new one tomorrow. But for now, wife says I have to go to bed.

Here’s a teaser

I’ll be doing this in negative, and put something dark behind it.

34 Likes

This whole smash and grab deal with @sawa’s Glowforge is like learning there is no Santa Claus. I am sad for manufacturers who have great product and then have to cast it into the elements. Welcome to the real world Mario. Something is seriously wrong that a shipping process just assumes this. Can we not do better?

4 Likes

Perhaps… But 5mm thick cardboard is less protective as 10mm cardboard. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

So what’s the current swop for when the forge shows up at your door? I remember we talked about the “do not accept if broken” red goop things before so I’m prepared there.
But as a general rule do you accept, verify, then call ups if there’s an issue? It is it better to just refuse it if it looks iffy?

The tears and crumpling is severe, something was definitely pressing against the box and hit it. Please complain to UPS. The hub this machine went to are not following the protocols. It’s so rare but this happens at my day job it’s a hugh deal

I’m not a packaging expert as well but I seen enough of this damage to know that is not normal. However the foam inside, if the machine works just as it left the factory, I bow to your design guy

11 Likes

There weren’t any red gel things or impact sensor… Was it tore off?

So far I think that was just for the PRU’s and the tilt ones were always tripped anyway

1 Like

True. And seeing that red tag all triggered probably caused panic emails to support for every one they sent out. (It did with me.) :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you so much for the update! I am so happy it is working for you! I hope all the kinks get worked out soon :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s a manifold coupler for an ac charging machine. Lucky you.

I remember having to learn this one, too. I kept trying to add SVGs in the ‘add artwork’ place and was so frustrated.

3 Likes

So glad is was only the mains lead missing. Never had any extra items added but one of our customers received some floor tiling instead of a 3D printer kit. We did manage to track it down though.

We sent hundreds of 3D printer kits all over the world, mainly by UPS as they were our preferred couriers and we get on well with our local pickup and delivery guy, Steve. So we knew the first leg of the journey would be safe.

My wife put copious amounts of packing tape and fragile tape around the box so there was no way it could split open. She also put selotape over the edges of the packing tape because amazingly brown packing tape doesn’t stick to cardboard very well!

The only time we lost something was when we sent it via Parcel Force who hand it over to local postal services. The Slovenian postal service let it get wet so the cardboard disintegrated and let a couple of motors out. We never used Parcelforce again as they are not end to end couriers, just a privatised postal service.

A very small number got puncture wounds through the cardboard that would damage the DiBond ACP panels. We could have protected it with foam and used a bigger box, but that would not of been cost effective due to the low damage rate. Cheaper to replace a few sheets of DiBond very occasionally.

There was one case where the replacement got damaged as well so we concluded that the local UPS at the delivery end must have been rubbish, so we sent the replacement replacement with another company.

It does seem that the bigger and heavier the box is the more likely it is to get damaged. Ours were only 10kg and easy to carry by one person. Steve would carry three at a time but we would lend him our sack truck when we had more. He should have had his own but somebody had pinched it.

So it looks like GF need to apply more tape, or packing straps, or perhaps shrink wrap it.

6 Likes

Seeing the photos of the box damage, I see now why @Dan said that the cardboard is mostly there to keep the foam and Glowforge together as a single unit. I was surprised to see brown packing tape used, though… Even reinforced with fibers, it doesn’t hold nearly as well as clear cellophane tape does.

@dan - Is there some chance that customers will be able to request replacement shipping boxes? What happens if the Glowforge needs to return under warranty after it’s been destroyed? What if customers want to use the box as a cheap carry case around the city? Is there a procedure that support will send out a shipping box when honoring an RMA return, or that someone can pay for an extra to be shipped to them?

3 Likes

I also remember @dan saying the box couldn’t easily be collapsed. Looks like I could collapse it and my wife could do a much better job of taping if it needed reassembling.

Yes the clear tape with fibres is very hard to get off.

2 Likes

i thought i read that replacement boxes will be available. im not sure how that fits in with boxes destroyed in the original shipment.

1 Like