Welsh Love Spoon

I am wondering if anyone has used a Glowforge to engrave and cut out a Welsh Love Spoon and then carved it to finished it?

I’ll point you to a thread where something like this came up before:

6 Likes

Thank you.

2 Likes

I have visited family in Wales many times, and made one using 3D engrave and cuts from maple hardwood (local, not Proofgrade). Maple lets you do 3D engraves to any depth that clean up as if carved by hand or with a CNC router. As they are decorative, the ‘spoon’ part does not need to be deep. I used 3D engrave on the back to give it a more desirable profile.

Interesting timing, you might like this: Love spoons: How a spoon became the Welsh symbol for love - BBC News

6 Likes

I have made wooden spoons but only used the GF to cut a template. The rest was carved by band saw, knives, files and sand paper.

1 Like

Thank you, That is what I thought I’d need to do. I just don’t own a bandsaw and my scroll is somewhere in the garage. I thought maybe I could do some small Christmas ornament sized WLSpoons.

Thank you.

Well you could cut the shape with a hand saw but if you have a scroll saw why not use that?

1 Like

I still think the thing to do is buy the spoons and then customize them with the laser.

2 Likes

Unlikely to find spoon blanks with this kind of form factor…

(not my pic but similar to the one I made using just the GF…)

5 Likes

Unlikely

27 bucks:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1200077442/handmade-welsh-love-spoon-no-18

Among many others. Prices range from about $15 to over $100, all depends on the spoon and the seller.

1 Like

That’s awesome.

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.