What a difference!

Makes perfect sense to discuss or disagree. Don’t think I’ll waste time being upset about trivial stuff.

1 Like

Yes I am!! Since there are several other post in this thread that state using these new setting and even post what the settings used are, and not one single person has said what’s being said to me, I do believe you are definitely wrong!!!

my goodness, well, i’m sorry you feel that way, but you really aren’t. it usually gets brought up for each new thread vs per post.

Well, I’m done. Enough is enough

Nah, this is a new thing by @Dan. So lots of older posts with settings that I don’t know if they’re going to farm for moving to BTM or if they’ll just let them stay (to be consistent, they probably should have moved every entry on this category to BTM and then looked for the ones that used only the presets on PG material to move back).

Pretty much everyone who posts settings for anything but the PG presets is getting alerted to needing to remove the settings, move the topic to BTM or post a second post.

I don’t recall anyone who thinks it’s a good idea but as has been pointed out, it’s GF’s forum so they make the rules. What is happening is less information is being shared as a result. As long as I have a PRU I’ll post in both because I think that’s part of the payback I owe for them letting me use one, but once my prod unit arrives, I’ll likely to just single post and not discuss settings - people who are interested will have to PM me for the info.

Since there are only 5 presets available for PG, there’s not a lot of room for creative expression - certainly not as much as we’ve seen here so far with everyone looking to push the machine’s capabilities.

7 Likes

I don’t thing a few days are old posts but whatever

Impressive at what a difference it made.

5 Likes

I’m really sorry to hear you don’t want to post any more things you’ve made - I’m learning so much from seeing finished projects and what did/didn’t work. I love seeing the creativity of folks on this forum! Maybe we should just do away with the Made on Glowforge category and post everything on Beyond the Manual. Double posting is too much to ask for.

8 Likes

Great results! Thank you for the comparison. I wish you wouldn’t stop posting your work man.

If Dan feels something presents a problem he or a moderator can move it. It’s not my place to police the posts of others… and dang it, I want to know the settings someone worked to establish.

8 Likes

Yeah, that was brought up as a potential response by the users to the issue but when new people come to the forum, they’re going to look here to see things made on one, not necessarily the BTM category. The split has already created a damper - a couple of previously prolific folks have already noted that they’re not going to post much anymore as a result.

5 Likes

It doesn’t seem that difficult to me…just post the project here and use Made on a Glowforge as a display gallery, and if you are using something that is not Proofgrade material and you desperately feel that you must share the settings, put them in Beyond the Manual.

It’s probably okay to discuss techniques of any kind on Proofgrade materials, and I intend to continue to do so. I also intend to continue to post my projects in Made on a Glowforge, whether they are Proofgrade or non-Proofgrade materials. The only difference is, for the non-Proofgrade materials, I’m not going to include the settings. Easy enough to comply with @dan 's request…do we really need to make such a big deal out of this?

If you want to post non-Proofgrade projects in BTM instead, go ahead. I don’t think anyone is going to mind.

2 Likes

The problem is this was proofgrade, and he was still told he couldn’t share because they weren’t the default settings.

If they keep this up, I think they will find participation dwindle. I wouldn’t take the time to make 2 different posts just because I didn’t use default settings.

7 Likes

we’re going to continue to have an influx of new people and they’re going to be even more frustrated. if you make what seem like arbitrary rules that force people to make multiple posts to share their work, and then people correct them when they don’t do it “right,” guess what’s going to happen? they’re going to stop sharing.

maybe it’s not necessarily “difficult,” but it’s still additional steps to do something that could be much simpler.

i agree with the idea that everything in some sort of “gallery” should be considered “beyond the manual.” not necessarily “glowforge endorsed.” so few things that are really interesting are going to be purely both proofgrade and with base proofgrade settings, why handicap the gallery section?

2 Likes

And people are going to get confused and make mistakes - it’s a new process, and the original post was probably fine.

Give it a chance folks. It’s not a life-altering thing here. Post your projects, and if they have to be moved, we’ll just move them. Not a big deal.

2 Likes

I agree with this statement. I don’t have my Glowforge yet, but I agree with @teditz when he says he won’t post anymore. From a browsing standpoint, if I want to go find a cool project and then find out how someone did that, I have to track down a separate post. From a posting standpoint (being a project creator), I might just not post as @teditz has mentioned. I have a lot of things vying for my time, and taking time to make two separate posts just might not be in the cards.

I think it could really help the projects on the forum flourish whereas creating two posts clutters them up and makes people not even want to post.

5 Likes

Not to mention, why do people even want to read about preset settings…THEY’RE PRESET! You just scan the code and roll with it, so no need. That’s precisely the reason to allow “other” settings.

7 Likes

@teditz That is an awesome engrave on the right. I’m sure the happy couple will love it!

5 Likes

Thanks. It’s definitely a big difference

2 Likes

I understand why you feel this way. It was brought up to me one time when I posted some settings…and I knew then that there were others being posted, too…but I think it’s because some posts, or at least the parts that contain settings, were just overlooked by the people who would normally remind us of the rules. I truly don’t think that you have been singled out…you just ended up being ‘caught’, so to speak. I really hope you won’t quit posting your work, as I really enjoy seeing it.

2 Likes

I don’t understand why this is NOT “Glowforge” endorsed!! THEY created those awesome settings!
THEY pushed out how wonderful they are with tremendous excitement, and rightfully so!!
So how is this NOT an endorsement???

There are WAY too many negative people on here that have not one positive thing to say about anything that’s posted. I’ve posted only a few things on here and always have the negative crap instead of a thank you. I see it in every post!!
It’s ridiculous!! And not to mention that the ridicule one person yet 5 or 6 others did the EXACT SAME THING and not a peep!!
This is the reason I will no longer shareor post.
I’ll just read, learn from the amazing people on here, and toss a comment in here and there!
THIS IS NOT WORTH IT PEOPLE!!!

2 Likes