What about using with a phone set as a wifi hotspot?

Here is how I had it. S9 sharing a hotspot set at 2.4 Ghz. It had data on… so it could share.
S7 attached to that hotspot but with airplane mode enabled.
I also took in a laptop and tried the same setup. (actually 2 laptops) Both using Windows 10.

I drug a mac mini with me to school and was going to give it a go, but forgot the power adapter. Also tried it with a Galaxy S3 and a Kyocera. On the laptops I have tried Chrome, IE and firefox.

At one point yesterday I made it to the screen where I could use the wifi networks, but before I could finish typing the code I got booted. At that point I was still trying to follow my Tech guys instructions and was connecting to his 5Ghz network… Are there any logs on the glowforge side that can tell me what they see?

Thanks for following up, and thanks to everyone in this thread for helping out. I’m sorry for the challenging start. The only information I’m currently able to pull from your unit indicates that there hasn’t been a successful connection to Wi-Fi since the unit was tested at the factory. Unfortunately, since the Wi-Fi setup process relies on browser actions and network connectivity, very little is logged by the Glowforge unit itself unless a connection is established, or you receive an error message when trying to connect to a specific network. The logs that are captured on your machine would be able to to tell us when the temporary Glowforge Wi-Fi signal was active, but wouldn’t provide any details about your network connection status or what’s happening in the browser.

There are a few things to keep in mind if you need to attempt Wi-Fi setup multiple times. Just to rule out some common issues, could you please try the following?:

1. Reboot the Glowforge between attempts (only use the switch on the back of the Glowforge to turn it on or off. If you press the button on top of the machine while you’re turning the unit on, your Glowforge won’t be able to start Wi-Fi setup correctly).

2. Exit your browser completely between attempts.

3. Don’t connect to the Glowforge Wi-Fi until you’re on the page that says “Your Glowforge is now broadcasting a temporary Wi-Fi signal”. When you’re on this page, the browser is waiting for your Wi-Fi network connection to change. If you’re already connected to the Glowforge Wi-Fi, this step might not be successful and you’ll sit on the “Waiting for your to connect to Glowforge Wi-Fi…” message indefinitely.

4. If the phone or computer you’re using to run setup has one or more of the school’s Wi-Fi networks set to automatically log in, try disabling that option temporarily.

Let me know how it goes!

1 Like

Thanks. I will make sure I am powering it off between attempts. I had sometimes, but not religiously.

Will give it a go again tomorrow. Contemplating carting it to my house and signing up with my phone hotspot rig, then bringing it back to school.

I swear one of the tech guys said that the boss has a measures in place to try and discourage rogue hotspots.

So I bolted it back together and have packed it and brought it to my house. I will work with the school to either get them to let my AP through or add a 2.4 gHz channel to their wifi. Is there any chance they put in a state of the art whole building wifi network that cannot put out a 2.4 gHz signal? He has already added a special network for my app creator module that connect to MIT…

My question now is should I connect to my home wifi which has 2.4 gHz, or should I still try to connect to the AP on my phone.

I am assuming that my district will force the device on their network at some point. When I return the glowforge to school, it will not be able to see my home wifi… At the moment it cannot see my Phone AP… I am thinking it is better to have it on the phone…

Thanks tons for all the assistance!

1 Like

:joy::joy::joy::joy: I’m in! 2 minute process with wifi that was not jacked!

Thanks tons for all the support! Working though a tutorial or two and time to make something!!!

7 Likes

I’m glad you resolved it! I’m going to close this thread. If you run into any other trouble, please start a new topic, or email us at support@glowforge.com. We’re here to help!

1 Like