What are people using the open flaps for? upgrade or not?

yeah the height restriction dose prevent a lot of use for the open slot option. i like the cane idea but the height would case a problem. even so engrave walking stick is a good reason to get the upgrade

@Brandon_R i completely agree with you and i think im going to take your advise and make the GF 1.0 pay for the GF 2.0 and just wait for it…do you think people that got the early bird special on the 1.0 would also get a discount on the 2.0? that would be epic @dan may you consider something like that?

Sword engraving. Not that everybody uses lots of swords; but the cosplay/costuming crowd sees that advantage. Belts and other leatherwork. Picture frames. Custom computer cases. My life and your life may not match up; but I definitely see the advantages.

1 Like

i think me and you are on the same page but our budget ain’t. i got the lulzbot taz5 like 6 months before glowforge and well i can only spend so much on hobbies in one year. like you i just make random fun stuff especially anime. leather is going to be the best part because there’s lots of leather use even on the swords, purse, armor, wallets, the list goes on. like i said if i had the money i would…if i started a company i would. but for now its just fun for me, i do regret not having enough for the pro but ill just have to wait untill the 2.0 comes out. untill then i hope to have learn how to use a 3d printer and a laser printer like one of the pros

@Elf, I also did not get the pro. I will have a basic. The question was, for personal use, what will people use the flaps for. I so badly wanted that feature; but couldn’t personally justify it, though I can make a product list that wants it. My brother makes swords, and he has a replica of a LOTR named sword that he got signed by the smith at WETA. He wants to get that signature etched in, and he’d like to engrave some blades, but he’ll have to wait or convince his wife that he needs a GlowForge. He and another brother do leather - some practical like belts and wallets and holsters, some fanciful for comic cons, fairs, cosplay, and those things. I’d like the pass-through; but I couldn’t justify it. Maybe if it pays for itself it can save some money and buy a little sister: 2.0 pro or something.

1 Like

Bought the Basic on the first day. A month passed and I paid the credit card bill. Somewhere in the back of my mind I convinced myself that the Pro was now only $1500. After all, the original $2000 was long gone. Seemed like a great deal. Upgraded.

5 Likes

All of the work I am going to do (the work that is ultimately paying for this thing) is basically less than 12 x 12 so the Basic will work great for me and cost a whole lot less. Maybe someday I’ll dream up something and wish it was bigger, but this will be a tool for creation of actual products for me to sell, and I’ve been making that stuff via other means so large scale work just isn’t necessary.

I make artwork with the laser-cutter. My pieces tend to be bigger than the bed of any laser-cutter I’ve used.

I cut all the pieces on a laser-cutter and then glue them up in layers to create one large piece. For me to be able to cut pieces longer than 20" is a real advantage. I will mean having less seams in my work, which makes it easier to assemble and it will feel more solid.

I’m talking about things like this:

That piece is more than 5’ in diameter. It’s currently sitting on a ping-pong table and it’s overhanging on the sides.

You can see my pieces on my blog: http://polarbrainfreezethecut.blogspot.ca/

13 Likes

Very cool work there. What is your favorite adhesive for work like this?

I plan on making 3 panel changing screens. as well as cut leather for bigger projects. I’ve not worked with a laser cutter before, but I think this will be so much fun! :smiley:

2 Likes

That would be great a tabletop with a thick layer of clear epoxy over it.

1 Like

it kills me that i cant afford the pro because i like the option of the flaps. also, i started reading about people in miami like me order the pro just because of the better cooling. i know ill enjoy my glowforge pro or not. i really like this post just because it helps people see what possibility are out there. honestly im going to get into leather with my glowforge i think its the best money maker i can come up with so ill be able to save up for the glowforge 2.0.

1 Like

I just use regular wood glue (the yellow stuff). I’ve not experimented much with glues though, so there might be something better.

1 Like

cool it would look like grilled cheese…you should re make the Jesus on Toast but on wood.

1 Like

As someone with a slight glue/adhesive obsession (I think I have about 15 different glues in my office right now), I would say regular old wood glue is probably what I’d use, too.

I wasn’t really interested in the flaps - I could think of two or three projects to make using the flaps, but only one that I couldn’t figure out a way to make without the flaps - blinds. You could make super cool blinds with the flaps. But that wasn’t a good enough reason to justify the added expense for a feature I didn’t really want. I did want to buy the pro just for the better cooling, but ultimately decided against it because I preferred the safety, or perceived safety, of the basic.

I’ll figure out a cooling work around just as I’ll figure out size work arounds. And it’s an excuse to buy the next incarnation, no?

2 Likes

i completely agree with you @erin that’s why i started this post because i wanted it but i didn’t want to pay that much more for it. even more; i could not think of any good reason to upgrade. reading this post from users like us has given me good reason to upgrade but still don’t help on the price.

If you’re on the fence, keep your basic. It’s a great machine and you won’t run out of things to do with it. I don’t want you to pay for a machine you’re not sure you need.

4 Likes

making swords/long weapons, cutting long pieces of cloth/leather.
also overflow for those irregular objects that I know would be 1/128" too large to fit in the glowforge and would drive me crazy if I didnt have the extra wiggle room.

2 Likes

this is what im talking about!!

1 Like