What are Proofgrade materials actually made of?!

Help!

I’m rather frustrated. I contacted Glowforge customer service to ask more details about the proofgrade materials. I asked for a few things:

*sourcing information on the wood used to make the proofgrade materials (is there an FSC label, where the raw materials are sourced from)

*what are the materials used to make the proofgrade materials (glue/finish etc)… this is so important, as I feel it’s important for customers (and frankly myself also) to know what materials/chemicals etc are being used in our home goods and worn in our jewelry. It seems like an incredibly simple question and answer… yet I got the most insulting word vomit answer that just sounded like a scripted promotional line about the products. I have enjoyed testing the proofgrade materials, and would love to use them to make items for sale, but NEED to know this info to do so. Our client base will ask. I also NEED to know to responsibly sell the items.

This was the response from Glowforge:

"Proofgrade materials are the first materials that are sourced, prepared, encoded, and lab-tested for perfect printing, every time. Proofgrade materials are specially formulated for the Glowforge 3D laser printer and work well with other cutter/engravers using CO2 laser technology. Unfortunately, I’m afraid I don’t have any information about FSC certification. I’m sorry I don’t have the answer you need.

Finally, I’m afraid that I don’t have details regarding the composition of the Proofgrade hardwood and plywood available.

Please let me know if you have further questions. "

How does Glowforge NOT know the composition of their own products??? This doesn’t make any sense. Has anyone gotten a straight answer before?

Thanks!!

Glowforge does not manufacture materials. Everything is outsourced (including machine manufacture) and they have changed providers over the years.

You won’t get any more from them.

If you want to know more about materials you use, find a manufacturer who is willing to provide that information - although even major brands for non-laser use are somewhat reluctant to provide much, as they also switch materials based on availability and won’t commit that what you can buy today is the same as what they were selling in the past.

6 Likes

We are users just like you, and cannot provide any information that would be helpful to you.

As stated above, you will have to find your own sources of material if you require more specific information than that which Glowforge has provided.

5 Likes

They difference with proofgrade is mainly that it’s material glowforge will back. So it’s material they know is well sourced and tested. Certainly you can probably find the exact same material online but it won’t have their stamp of approval and covered under warranty if there is any damage caused by it.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.