What are the most unique materials you plan to use?

I like this! It looks like a good way to lock the dust down.

I put “override the air assist fan” in the feature hopper for y’all. :slightly_smiling:

6 Likes

Wow, that sounds like it will produce some stunning results!! Excited to see the whole discussion that’s stemmed from this idea, can’t wait to see what people make when the glowforges arrive :grin:

Looks like it might might be possible down the road, judging from @dan’s reply.

1 Like

How about bone or antlers, any chance the laser could cut Antler? I am thinking about cutting small cross sections and lasering out shapes to make earnings for my wife.

1 Like

@aeva did an example with bone, I imagine antlers, teeth, etc. would be similar.

Speaking of bone…
Oosic :innocent:

1 Like

I just received some sample glass tiles for another project idea, but then got to thinking…can these be lasered…and if so, should they be masked? And if they can be lasered, what outcome could I see? Completely new to lasers, here…and I know there have been other mentions/discussions about lasering glass, but these are slightly different. They come in amazing colors and are 3"x 6"

Ignore the one on the far left, as it is metal. In case anyone want to get some samples, here is the website; http://backsplashideas.com I meant to not be greedy and order just one tile of each color, but either they or I made a mistake and I received two of all three colors.
They are exceptionally gorgeous…and bonus…they are self-stick!

9 Likes

I have read some folks talk about putting wet tissue paper on the glass to reduce chipping. Glass formulations vary widely though, so I think you are just going to need to test them to find the best for any give type. There has also been a lot of discussion about laser cutting a mask and then sand blasting or using etching paste.

Very pretty tiles, they should look beautiful with nice frosty engraving.

5 Likes

I have some etching paste…I will try that first, since I have another 6 months. Thank you.

3 Likes

I’m really interested in trying velvet fabric engraving. Seeing that denim can be engraved with just the right settings, I hope this will work. My niece is excited to have some custom patterns etched into velvet as accent pieces for sewing projects.

3 Likes

And you have an extra piece of tile in each color to compare etching paste with laser engraving. Score!

1 Like

This might be of interest to you. Even includes 40w power settings to start at!

https://www.epiloglaser.com/resources/sample-club/velvet-engraved-jewelry-bag.htm

3 Likes

Thanks. I bookmarked the page for starting settings.

2 Likes

I have found that it’s not wise to cut neoprene/wetsuit material with a laser, chlorine gas and some other nastiness is created in the process.

1 Like

LOLOL…

Reminds me of this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Once_Bitten_(1985_film)

Awww a bunch of people downvoted me and it got hidden. No sense of humor, hahah.

3 Likes

Apparently not.

For some of us, this forum is our workplace, so we treat it that way with respect to moderation and ask that you do the same. It’s easier to just say “keep it G” than to try to thread the needle of different people’s sensibilities.

3 Likes

Well, it’s not like we mentioned religion or politics. :grin: