What can I do while waiting for my GF?

I haven’t really updated myself on where Glowforge is right now, and not really a fan of reading long threads, except that once in a blue moon I’ll login to check the shipping updates. Other than that I have no idea what I would do or how I would use Glowforge once I get it.

Is there some kind of tutorial that I can read/watch on how to use GF, whether it be software or hardware related. I don’t mean marketing videos or article, but rather a well documented tutorial that will prepare me so that I will be ready when my GF gets here.

Thank you!

B’rgds,
BASTi

3 Likes

So far, I’ve found it to be realllllly user friendly; 10 minutes reading the manual got me up to 50% speed, then 10 more minutes of following the instructions for the ruler and the plaque got me up to 99% speed.

Once you start working with it, it becomes really easy & intuitive.

I’d say learn Fusion360…I wish I had done so during the wait…

:slight_smile:

11 Likes

Basti,

I know there are a lot of tutorials being created right now by people on this forum, both those with Beta and Pre-release units, as well as others who are good as using various software applications. They haven’t been published yet, but they are not that far away. Check back occasionally, once they are ready they will probably get pinned in a category all their own. If you want a little inspiration and some idea, just browse through the “Made on a Glowforge” section of the forums. You don’t have to read the whole threads, just the top post will often give you a good idea of what’s possible and how they did it. Most of these guys and gals go the extra mile to give the rest of us good information and explanations. Again, you don’t have to read the long threads, just look at the OP for each in that section and you will learn a lot. Also feel free to ask questions. There are some very helpful and well informed people on here, and then there are others, like me :smile:

11 Likes

hehehe, and me, too :grin:

6 Likes

Do you mean that you aren’t sure what you would like to make as in projects or not sure how to make the things you want to make?

I have a few YouTube videos out documenting the workflow from design to finished product. They are not detailed how to videos, but give the general overview of some of the things to consider.

One thing is that the Glowforge is so simple to operate, you will have no problem making something from the catalog immediately as long as you have Proofgrade material or something comparable. No design skills are needed.

I think the best way to start preparing is to choose an object you want that can be made on a Glowforge. Then you need to decide how you are going to turn that object into a design the Glowforge can process. That’s where the design software enters into the workflow. My posts tend to describe the process from idea through design to finished product. I usually include the files.

I do think you would do well to read some of the posts in Made on a Glowforge. There are many inspiring projects documented there.

8 Likes

check out the tested video too. its not a bad watch

10 Likes

Hello Basti,

A few suggestions that I can make are:

• Spend some time learning design software, such as Illustrator, Inkscape, Fusion360

• If you visualize yourself using the trace feature, rather than creating designs on a computer, get a sketchbook and start drawing.

• Gather up supplies, including materials that you’d like to use in your creations and tools such as magnets, masking & calipers.

• Ensure that your work space is ready and in order. Do you already have a table or desk that will hold the machine? Where will you vent it?

Hope it helps! :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Great tips… excuse my ignorance tho. Isn’t Fusion360 a 3D Cad program? I get the other two but I’m not sure about F360.

I guess individual flat parts can be designed but wouldn’t that be easier on AI or Inkscape? If there’s something I’m missing I’d like to hear more about it… Thank in advance.

You are more or less limited to cutting shapes out of flat stock, but if those cutouts are assembled together in some way then designing it in a 3D CAD app can be a useful way to check fit etc before cutting.

Since Fusion360 is a parametric modeller you can also iterate and refine your design more easily than you would be able to in Illustrator for example

3 Likes

That makes a lot of sense… Thx. I have a couple of months to catch up.

Is anyone of the Beta testers using FlatFab ?

A caveat here, you don’t need to learn all of them. Pick one and get good at it. Illustrator, Inkscape, Affinity or Corel are probably better options than just learning Fusion360 as most of what you will do can be handled by the 2D programs while the 3D Fusion360 will only be needed for a small portion of your design work. Move on to Fusion360 only after you know you need to.

2 Likes

you can also follow along with what people who have a pre release machine is doing:

@marmak3261 it’s the latter… lm not sure how to make the things I want to make…

I would really appreciate if you can direct me to your YouTube channel or send the exact link to the video you are talking about.

Thank you!
BASTi

Here is a link to one of the videos. You can subscribe to my channel if you’d like. I try to have a new one once a week.

I’d be happy to assist you in making your design become a reality. Share the idea here if you would like or if you want to keep it private, message me using the personal message app.

6 Likes

Just subscribed. I feel bad I didn’t do an unboxing, but at that speed I wouldn’t have needed a time-lapse… haha. I think my realtime was shorter than your time-lapse… Caffeine and time-pressure induced desperation is a wonderful combination,

7 Likes

The “delivery photo” is so much more memorable! Thanks for taking time to do this!

1 Like