What did you get done today?

+100 on this advice. I have a pair of Limmer boots that are the most comfortable walking, hiking and standing boots ever. They’re still handmade in NH by the Limmer family. Not sure what the backlog is but it’s probably still a couple of years. They also really encourage a visit to them for precise measuring when your number comes up.

A pretty decent substitute is a set of custom foot beds - the kind that are vacuum formed to your feet. Some ski shops can do that for you.

1 Like

@shop
Wow, your job must be really exciting, adventurous and strenuous!! I wanted to become an architect —-instead I learned how to build dollhouses and room boxes.

@ca_worth
I will try the turmeric. I have been taking prescription Diclofenac for many years and it is NOT the safest drug to take. When the pain is really bad —-I also use Voltaren Gel—-which is a really big NO NO!!!

@jamesdhatch
I copied and pasted your entire post.— that is some really great advice especially the custom made foot beds.

I went to Google searched for —Ski shop custom made foot bed.
3 choices for Knoxville. The 3rd shop is an absolutely —-to purchase toilet paper, cleaning supplies, groceries, odds & ends, etc.

HELL NO for custom made foot beds!!

photography shoots like this are rare for me. most of my days are spent in front of a computer and/or on conference calls. i enjoy a lot of what i do, but it’s rarely adventurous or strenuous. that’s what makes these shoots fun for me. a serious change of pace.

1 Like

Why did you tell me the truth? Now I am depressed!!!:sleepy::sleepy:

I would have loved to read. “My career is beyond incredible. I ALWAYS fly first class, stay at luxurious Relais & Châteaux properties and have a $250,000 a year expense account. Every 2 years, the company leases me a brand new top of the line Lexus. I also get a 12 week vacation every year but I can only take 2 weeks at a time and when I retire ——the company will give me a oyster 40mm white gold Cosmograph Daytona ROLEX!!

1 Like

now you’re depressing me

3 Likes

Rolexs’ keep :poop: time :stuck_out_tongue:

I started first making a model railroad for big shots in Venezuela so they could show off what they were doing getting rice from the backwoods to the port.

That evolved into making architectural models, and that evolved into Autocad Drafting for architecture and machine design. So if you want to do architecture I would investigate all the local architects and point out how your Glowforge and you could make nice architectural models for them.

3 Likes

I can never say that name without singing it :crazy_face:
I use a lot of turmeric in my cooking but I think the Voltran works better.

1 Like

voltaran doesn’t seem to do much for me. maybe it’s a lot like glucosamine, which works well for some and not for others.

what did i get done today? a lot of rest, but also ordered a new laptop. which i’m excited for.

4 Likes

I finished a barn quilt for my wife. It’s 2x2ft and made using 1.5" lath cut into equal parallelograms individually stained and then glued to make the pattern.

No way was I going to pay $200 for one on Etsy :grinning:

20 Likes

It’s lovely. Why pay when it’s so much fun to make your own.

5 Likes

Did you ever make it to the state of Bolivar? I was born there.

In the 1960s, my American father got a job in Venezuela. He was working for a steel company. He met my mother who is 100% Venezuelan in the city of Puerto Ordaz.

I do not remember where the steel plant was located. My mother was born in Upata.

When I was very near being 3 years old, we permanently moved back to the United States. Six months later, my father gets a job in Tennessee and we move here. I have been in Knoxville since 1971.

2 Likes

I never made it to Venezuela. I had a history class in High School that focused on Latin America so had deeper insights than the average person I knew. This project was a joint effort from the owners of the largest bank, the country airlines, huge areas of land, and the railroads. The idea was to create a demonstration that would go inside the bank of how they were working together.

History lesson (can upset some)

What talking I heard was stunning even knowing the history of corruption (one president with hundreds of “acknowledged” children, another putting his own face on all the statues of Jesus at the main cathedral, and much more) that Venezuela was unique even in South America in quirkiness at least.
Indeed it was about a year later, that cash flowed out in stunning amounts even though illegal to do so, actually setting me up making architectural models, as a person could get a contract to buy a piece of land, set up a trailer with models of the highrise intended, and raise enough in 50k down payments to pay for the land and materials to build the highrise before the first shovel was applied. Early on the folks who put the downpayment upfront would see their money increase sixfold and could sell before they had to come up with the rest of the price. This was driven by folks getting their money out of Venezuela, with rapid inflation being “fixed” and by trading the condo for something in Venezuela make a huge increase in value and let someone else take their money out of the country.
As it could not continue forever it didn’t and when the music stopped some folk had $50k down payment on like 6 $300k condos and could not come up with the money. The problem was pretty local to South Florida, but it also ended my opportunities to build the models. I learned Autocad and later moved to Orlando where my ability with cad paid for the rest of my life.

Trucks would bring rice (sand)to the warehouse and be unloaded and then the train would stop at a warehouse and be loaded with rice then go around a mountain and deliver it to a port facility. that would load it on a freighter. About 16’ on a side we had to make it into four big slices to fit in a shipping crate to make the move.

There were a lot of jokes put in. As most model house kits came from Germany it was emphasized that in Venezuela they do not have fireplaces and chimnies so we built an outside barbecue without a chimney. We built a children’s playground with climbing bars, seesaw, slide, merry-go-round, etc, (from a kit) but we had the kids climbing, swinging, and playing in the trees. There was a bunch of workers with one with both hands in front resting on a pickaxe so he was standing facing a tree. There were more but those I most remember. Most you would not see without studying it. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I procrastinated (successfully) designing an new engineering ethics competition. Its still the weekend tomorrow and so there is still a chance to knock it out this weekend.

Also, I managed to put boots in the glowforge and engrave bluebonnets on them :slight_smile:

2 Likes

you would have to use a LOT in your cooking to match my 6 Grams/day.

and hopefully you won’t have white countertops. :slight_smile:

friend at work dyed his a nice yellow when it was recommended his wife up her turmeric intake.

2 Likes

Nice!

I made two dresses in parallel. One is able to get sewn before I engrave it and the other has a bit more elaborate of a design and so I glowforged the suede first. That one is finishing up here soon :slight_smile:

Current weekend status:

I need more excuses to go out :slight_smile:

9 Likes

No you don’t, you just need to do it.

There’s no reason just going out with your husband for date-night can’t be reason enough for whatever level of special you want to make it.

We used to look for “social occasions” to be the reason we’d put the effort into dressing up and having special meals or events. We decided that being able to have a night together is special enough and we can dress up and do what we want without needing a “reason”. Who cares if we’re not going to a party or it’s not a birthday or anniversary, we can have a great dinner and maybe dancing or whatever just because we’re still together and like going out together.

7 Likes

There are unniversaries to celebrate every day :grin:

2 Likes

lol, I meant more of that I need more reason to go out. I rather stay in and make stuff. I am highly introvert. It helps living in the middle of nowhere. The closest big town is about an hour away and has great places to go to. Yet I like staying in and designing :slight_smile:

2 Likes