What is this part?

Today I forged a couple things, and then I found this piece sitting on the left side of the crumb tray about halfway between top and bottom. It is slightly oily / greasy.
Is this bad? Where do I put it back?
Thanks!

@Helene,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I’m so sorry to see you found a broken part in your Glowforge.

It looks like that might be the connector from the printer head cable. Could you please do the following to confirm if it is the connector?

1. Turn off your Glowforge.

2. Holding only the finished black surfaces, grasp the printer head as shown. Pull gently up and back to disengage the magnets and remove the head.

3. There is a small tab in the center of the wire ribbon. Please inspect the connector to see if the tab or part of the connector is missing.

Please let me know what you find. Thank you!

It looks like my connector is all there. The part that I found is made of metal. Here is mine, and a photo through a mirror of the underside of the printer head carriage (if that is what it is called!)

I removed the crumb tray and took a new picture and had a look around.
I don’t see where that part may have come from.

Thank you for confirming your cable clip is intact. That’s great news!

I appreciate the additional photos, I don’t think this is a carriage plate part. It looks like everything is connected properly in your printer.

I’m reaching out to the team now for more information. In the meantime, please let me know if you run into any more trouble. I’ll update you here as soon as I know more.

Mystery Solved!
A second matching piece fell out of my vice grips.
Thanks for looking into it for me

1 Like

Ah ha! Mystery solved indeed, the team didn’t recognize the part as part of a Glowforge.

I’m going to close this post for now. Thank you so much for letting me know, happy printing!

1 Like