What is this woodworking sorcery?

I’m still not entirely sure how this works.

26 Likes

:astonished:

1 Like

:exploding_head:

So very very cool.

1 Like

The design makes sense to me; it’s the patience I can’t wrap my head around.

4 Likes

Interesting how he uses a modern steel scale, modern pencil, Modern sandpaper, and a wooden framed scroll saw.

he also doesn’t sharpen his chisels very often.

but that dang sure is a tremendous amount of work for a little kid’s stool.

4 Likes

That’s pretty awesome. It looks like a modified pliers hinge. Patience of Job. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

It’s like the Roubo bookstand but taken to the fourth dimension. Very amazing. The rare random Japanese woodworking joint trifecta is in play for me today:

3 Likes

But sometimes it’s the process, not the product. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I can appreciate the skill and engineering of the stool, but I really admire the elegant beauty of simple things like this. So lovely.

1 Like

It looks like the process could scale up to an adult stool if you prefer?

Having thought about it carefully it is conceptually just a series of layers each with pretty basic shapes. :thinking: We might have trouble making it from a single piece of wood, but all the layers are perfect thickness each to cut them from quarter or even half-inch thick wood and glued face to face. One could not hide the dodge but you could flaunt it by making it from several species so it had racing stripes.

1 Like

My dad was one of those craftsmen that could look at something in a picture and go to his shop and make it…and he was always coming up with things like this that he could make out of a single piece of wood with no fasteners… I always thought it was magic. Wish I had not been so interested in chasing girls and learned more from him, lol.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.