What will be your Glowforge's personal name?

iForge That was what we had decided also!

1 Like

I still haven’t thought of a name I like. Maybe MacReady? He burns Things.

http://www.hisstank.com/forum/attachments/g-i-joe-customs-finished-projects/157613d1428100316-r-j-macready-thing-dolemite-ft14.jpg

6 Likes

Already chosen my name for the Forge but I don’t trust you whipper-snappers to steal my idea!
Glad someone told me the letter limit was 15… i immediately & frantically counted and came just in under the limit!

2 Likes

15 letters … “DelayAfterDelay” :sunglasses:

3 Likes

ROFL - Sung to the tune of Cyndii Lauper’s ‘Time After Time’?

1 Like

Or maybe “StuckOnDayNine” :sunglasses:

1 Like

At first i through it was 15 syllables…
Part of my Job is to create Haiku for ceremonial events so i went into joyous overdrive… but then i re-read it :frowning:

My name for the forge
Flowered as a poem, wilts
As fifteen letters.

6 Likes

That’s an awesome name idea. I’m a bit jealous

1 Like

Fabrikant - it’s German for “somebody who makes things” and Valery I. Fabrikant was a Soviet scientist who laid much of the groundwork for lasers.

12 Likes

SchmutzMacher. ‘Schmutz’ because what comes out of the Glowforge’s tailpipe is schmutz. (And why does spell check want to change ‘schmutz’ to ‘schmaltz’? I’ve never cooked anything in schmutz!) And ‘macher’ because the Glowforge is going to get important things done. We’re going to refer to it as ‘The Macher’. (Which by itself wouldn’t be a bad name either.)

4 Likes

Might need to check this out:

laser guy: Valentin A. Fabrikant
engineer turned mass murderer: Valery I. Fabrikant

10 Likes

Woops. I forgot his first name, googled “Fabrikant”, took the first result, thought briefly “should I check if it’s the right one? Nah, what are the chances he’s a mass murderer or something…”

Erm… yeah. :wink:

13 Likes

Now that the shipping emails have picked up, I guess it’s time to put some serious thought into choosing a name!

I’ve known for a while that I wanted to name my Pro after a character from The Kingkiller Chronicle by Patrick Rothfuss. For a while I was considering some rather obscure names, then for a long time I settled on Elodin, because he’s cool, but not really a good fit. Then the other day it hit me that Kilvin is by far the most appropriate choice. He makes all the best things, just like a Glowforge. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I like Kilvin. :grinning:

I ended up naming mine Dexter.

Lieutenant Awesome was the runner up. LOL

10 Likes

My brainstorming list (some mine, some from @whalley_jeff, some puns i found online):

Names:
"The artist formally known as prints"
Glowbiewon Kenobi
Ronald Raygun http://memebase.cheezburger.com/puns/tag/laser
Geordi LaGlowforge
Vincent van Glow
Taekwonglow
ZachaRAY
Hootie and the Glowfish
Cohnforge
Glowcone

8 Likes

I absolutely stand in awe of the cleverness of some of these! (And the ones at HQ are pretty punny too!) :smile:

2 Likes

Hey, one of those names is the one I plan to use.

I audibly squee’d over this one!

The symbol is perfect for an escutcheon too :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Well, about a year ago I declared my Glowforge’s name would be “Regina Forge.” On October 3rd, unofficial Mean Girls Day (and my favorite movie), it has finally arrived. I appreciate @dan making me wait two years for Regina’s perfectly timed arrival :wink:

I feel almost as elated as Cady Heron when Aaron Samuels spoke to her on that fateful day :star_struck:
Oct3

17 Likes