What you do for a living?

That’s pretty cool. I’m always interesting in arabic fonts. I recently actually published a paper on why you can’t fax arabic text (well, below 14pt) due to the way CCIT group 4 compression alters arabic letters into other letters. I do a lot of work in arabic (although don’t speak it more than a few words) due to a large research contract we had in Kuwait.

10 Likes

Haha! I’m not against comic sans when it’s used in appropriate (re: for kids stuff only) ways. However when I get a four-page, multiple paragraph document I’m supposed to read set in it, I want to stab out my eyes. :confounded:

13 Likes

There’s a lot of work happening in different type foundries around the world to make better Arabic fonts for web and mobile devices. Much progress has been made in making it legible at “normal” text sizes so you don’t have to have a pocket magnifying glass. It’s pretty exciting!

10 Likes

Yeah, but for critical communication (in our case prescriptions) since Fax munges the dots around it’s too dangerous. When “Nom” changes to “Yom” on your sleeping pill, you are in deep doodoo!

6 Likes

I sent you a PM with the article if you are interested.

1 Like

Reminded me of this book restoration video;

4 Likes

She’s an artist. More of a Papyrus vibe :wink:

5 Likes

Ha! I think the last time I used papyrus was well over 10 years ago…

8 Likes

I was told to get more active in the forums. So what do I do for a living? I am the Creative New Media Officer for Case Western Reserve University. I also teach Game Design at the Cleveland Institute of Art. I own a small publishing company that produces books, apps, and games. And I photograph castles have been to about 500 around the world. And in my spare time…

18 Likes

Oh my…I envy you… your visits to castles. I have seen just a few, mostly in Austria and Switzerland but would love to visit so many more. Do you have any of your photos online?

4 Likes

Always working on showing more but some are at my website http://fromcastletocastle.com

7 Likes

I am 95% certain I used papyrus for an art project in college. In my defense, I hadn’t slept in, like, 2 days. Mistakes were made.

13 Likes

Very cool! Thank you.

3 Likes

I have to admit that I actually like the Papyrus font. Is there a Fonts Anonymous group I can join?

17 Likes

Lol, hi, I’m Mark and I intentionally used comic sans just to mess with management’s head…

13 Likes

I’m a retired fan maker, now coming out of retirement to pay for my frequent trips to USA, while waiting for my green card.
Hoping to settle in MS, where I married my childhood sweetheart earlier this year, both in our 70’s now.
The forge will enable me to create work that I could only dream of over my 35+ years as a fan maker.
Before that lab tech at ICI Plastics in UK, then electronic tech in Army for six years and then collected assortment of craft skills till fan making Damascus Road event showed me what I should have spent my life doing.

13 Likes

Don’t you sculpt dragons as well? Or am I mis-remembering?

3 Likes

True, but major problem now that I’ve promised the family(both sides of the Atlantic) that I’ll not climb up the ladder to cut the top any more.
I did wonder if the forge could trim it for me :smiley:

8 Likes

That’s too bad…that was truly a work of art. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wait awhile, there is sure to be a drone trimmer at some point. :laughing:

6 Likes