What you do for a living?

@johnbrooker’s from England as well (sorry, John, I can’t remember which city) and now lives in the area. You’ll have to join us next time we have lunch! I have a feeling John will need some more wood veneer soon, so he’ll be in town soon enough. :wink:

Sounds fun!!

Totally understand where you’re coming from @Livein3D. Once upon a time, I had a ton of security certifications - CISSP-ISSAP; ISSMP; GISO; GWAPT; OSWP and I used to Chair a SANS advisory board - and I gave it all up when I heard the siren song of 3D printers, and, now, the GlowForge…

2 Likes

Unfortunately we are in a skyscraper and even though the demo was on the main floor, no windows could be opened. We powered it up and I showed off the things I had made this far. It was a lot of fun and had many questions afterwards. Good practice for Maker Faire

OMG! I bought my Ultimaker 3 from your company last March! I will attest to the fantastic customer support of your company.

I am trying to get into InfoSec. I earned my bachelor’s in summer of 2016. Son has same degree but graduated shortly after I started college and walked right into role 3 months before graduation. Hear at these meetings how the field is short staffed but the entry level jobs require experience. I am working as a contractor (3 years) but not in InfoSec–but compliance. So starting on my certs with hope that it will attract attention.

Love my 3D printers (U3 the most) and now my Glowforge. Perhaps one day it will become a business…actually hoping it will attract attention at Maker Faire in hopes of building the Maker space back up and getting a real home for the group again.

Hi illuminati,
Just a quick heads up to both you and Russell that I’m still alive and kicking !
Recently from North Norfolk, currently in Corinth, MS, but dealing with a jackdaw that’s been trapped in the Norfolk house for about two weeks, pooping all over both downstairs and the bedroom, and trying to get it sorted from 4000 miles away !
It’s a fascinating life if you don’t weaken .
John
:upside_down_face:

5 Likes

Thanks, @Livein3D! I made my first print on an Ultimaker Original 6 years ago this weekend. Back then, it was pretty hard being an Ultimaker owner in the US, with no resellers here, and all of the support coming from Europe. We founded fbrc8 specifically to make it easier to be an Ultimaker owner on this side of the Atlantic, so I’m glad to hear that we’re succeeding. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good to see some other infosec people on here… I’m deputy head of security and risk management for the Swiss government’s IT office.

2 Likes