What's going on with the web app

I said: “Yeah, and actually, I probably could’ve built myself a laser cutter, too. But I opted to let someone else do it for me. Sometimes it’s nice to get to the end product without having to sweat through all the in-between stuff.”

I didn’t say (or imply) anything about substantiveness, or its effect on anyone but me. I was, and still am, looking forward to trying out the settings.

And you know a lot about software development. I get it. How about software development in conjunction with hardware production, quality testing, managing sales, shipping, service, tech support, all while negotiating legalities of international sales and shipping, etc. etc. etc…?

My point was that quality takes time. GF is still a startup company. Their personnel resources must still be pretty limited. They’re managing a thousand other things right now besides JUST software development. Onboarding new staff and developers is expensive and time consuming, and until you have enough profits to do it, you have to stretch your existing resources to the breaking point to get there.

Because they ALSO have all the other things to do that I mentioned above.

How many companies have you started? I’m not going to make any “100%” pronouncements, because I’m smart enough not to rely on a photo and a username to inform my absolute knowledge of another person, but I’m kind of old, and although they’re not all in engineering I’ve got several degrees under my belt, and sometimes diversity offers a bit broader perspective.

I’ve also started a few companies in my time, and I’m pretty sure right now, at the stage of development they are in, GF’s personnel are stretched absolutely to the max trying to manage the growth they are experiencing and expand rapidly enough to contain it without overstretching their resources and crashing. I don’t want to see that happen, because I am selfish and want to keep using my GF for a very long time to come. So, like I said, I’m happy to wait.

You seem to be assuming that they’re just sitting around drinking coffee or something. I think you’re only seeing the situation from one limited perspective. Software development is just one very small piece of the puzzle.

1 Like

Got it.

3 Likes

I’m not going to reply to the bulk of your message, because I’ve got work to do.

I don’t see what is keeping their software team busy. Perhaps they are struggling on the back-end to keep up with increased load, and everyone is focused on that. Or perhaps they’re all off working on some new marketplace of features, as Scott theorized above. Or maybe they had some attrition after product launch, are having trouble hiring, and are operating with a shoestring staff until they can on board more people (my theory).

But one thing is for sure, there isn’t any work being done on the part of Glowforge that the customers spend the bulk of their time with, namely the GFUI. Which is why they should open it up, and let the community improve the product for them.

I have no special insight into what is happening inside the company. All I have is my own experience in the field; I am a product manager, so I spend a lot of time thinking about what features to add, writing specs, negotiating priorities, and working with engineers to get features built. (That is what I should be doing now instead of writing this post. :wink: )

Any time I have worked at a place where customers perceive the pace of development to be this slow, where indefensible bugs have birthdays, it is always because of serious problems on the inside. Those problems can be based on resources, technical debt, or office politics, but they manifest similarly on the outside.

At least, based on what we know about the company’s finances, I am not terribly worried about Glowforges turning into doorstops.

I continue to hope for the best for all of us… users and employees… and look forward to whatever new features lie ahead.

3 Likes

That’s good to hear. I noted in the thread above that they’ve really beefed up the “Careers” section on their web page, have what looks like a great compensation and benefits package, cool work environment, etc. So hopefully it’s just the usual challenges of hiring engineers in this area of the country (Seattle), and eventually they’ll reach critical mass.

Bingo. I might go even further and claim that the majority if not all companies/products go through this phase. Some longer than others, but it’s like smoking a brisket and hitting the stall. You’re pouring energy into it but the temperature just won’t rise, it’s being sapped by some mysterious internal process. But I think they’re actually on the upswing now. https://glowforge.com/jobs is one indication.

3 Likes

Great analogy!

1 Like

That’s why we wrap them.

2 Likes