What's your Favorite shop tool?

This is my current favorite shop tool:

But I’m hoping that changes soon!

16 Likes

I am not even sure what that is but I want it for some reason.

5 Likes

Looks like a little drill. Also like a portable music player. But I think its a drill of some kind. It def spins.

7 Likes

Super expensive, super nice dremel.

8 Likes

Oops, sorry! Yes, it’s like a Dremel but operated by rechargeable battery. It has an attached speed control and operation is very smooth with very little vibration. Look up Foredom Micro Motor.

7 Likes

My dad makes jewelry and uses a Foredom flex shaft unit with a foot pedal speed control, but your micromotor looks a bit easier to navigate in tighter places than a flex shaft can get into. NIce!

3 Likes

Yes, and it has a waist belt so you can walk around drilling (or use it at craft shows :smile:). Another cool feature is no collet or key, it just twists to release the bit and twist again to secure it.

7 Likes

I tend to prefer corded tools (because I forget to recharge them) but that sounds pretty nifty. Might have to look into this as right now I dont even have a dremel or similar small rotary tool… I have air powered die grinders but that’s like using a hydraulic ram when all you need is a tack hammer. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

These guys and my iPad Pro/Apple Pencil are my current favorites

20 Likes

Oh yeah, and you do amazing things with those tools!

4 Likes

Yes, you are such an artist (and no power tools required) :smiley:

3 Likes

My Global santoku chef knives in the kitchen.

My Dewalt pair of battery drills. When I get a good table saw that will be the mosts favored tool, unless the Glowforge comes first.

7 Likes

This is just wrong. Cruel and wrong.
How the hell am I supposed to pick one?
Yes the cordless driver gets used (and abused) the most, but it is not really my favorite. Because… I have had my Foredom flex shaft for more then 30 years and it was given to me by my great uncle who had a huge place in my life and I used it to try and make a living for a few years. And… I have spent a year taking apart my 2,500lb milling machine and hand scraping it back to square and I can’t walk into the shop without petting it. But… I have a fantastic DoAll bandsaw from 1941 in amazing condition that I got for only $400 Dollars(!) that I use all the time.

So yeah, I am not playing this game. :wink:

20 Likes

Leatherwork: ceramic swivel knife blade

Beadwork: tulip needles & fireline thread

(I’m not very high tech :blush: )

6 Likes

And don’t forget the letterpress!

3 Likes

This has got to be mine. Couldn’t be without it. It’s also, probably the most expensive thing I own.

17 Likes

Which models are those? I’m finally ready to replace my old D50 but Nikon makes a staggeringly-confusing number of lines and models. They really need to reduce the lines to 3: Novice, Prosumer, Pro. Really has made my brain hurt shopping for a new one.

That’s a great story. I don’t think I’d be able to drink from a $2M trashcan let alone a beautiful bowl!

4 Likes

That is one honkin’ paper cutter!

4 Likes

Do you find yourself wishing you had one of the smaller sized Tormachs, or do you need what the 1100 provides?

Thanks.