When using Add Artwork button, duplicate colors in uploaded art appear as new operations in sidebar

1. From app Home screen, upload some art.
  2. In the layout/settings screen, enter settings for the colors in that art.
  3. Use the Add Artwork button to upload the same file again
  4. The new copy of the artwork does not inherit settings from the existing copies of the artwork.

Expected: If you add new art containing a color which is already defined in the layout view, the new art will inherit the existing settings.

Has it always been like this? Not inheriting settings makes it a lot harder to do some things.

For example, I am trying to cut sample swatches, with different text on each swatch. I have one file which includes all of the variants and my hope was to upload the file, delete what I didn’t want to cut, switch materials, re-upload, etc. This doesn’t actually work, because settings are not inherited. And auto-save means that every time I delete an unwanted item, that operation can’t be easily undone.

I also tried doing this with copy-paste to refresh the master view, and pasting in art DOES inherit settings as you would hope–but some other issue wiped out the clipboard.

Whether or not the current operation is by design, it seems that adding via clipboard or Add Artwork upload should work the same way, too.

COPYing an image via paste is obvious and would be expected to inherit the current cut settings. That’s easy for the program to understand and the user to expect

However, adding a new file is completely different. Sure, YOU know it’s the same and that you want it to inherit settings based on color settings, but that’s likely the exception and not the rule here.

With a limited number of colors, having the program assume that all cuts of the same color should be imported the same, would certainly create a lot more work for most situations. Then once you have 2 different settings for the same color, what would you expect the import to do?

To solve your specific issue, have you tried just dragging the un-wanted parts to the far side (so they’re in the grey and don’t cut) vs. deleting them?

1 Like

Funny, that is exactly what I thought about adding art the other way.

Well, if colors inherited settings from the same colors, you couldn’t get into that situation. You would have to change your colors in your design program if you had the same art that needed different settings, though.

It seems generally cleaner to me to have one color equal one operation, always inheriting settings when they exist… but I find I disagree with nearly every design decision the company makes. :slight_smile:

I tried copy/paste again and it worked, so I handled my issue that way.

Moving parts into the un-cuttable area is a good idea for next time too.

1 Like

That’s a great idea for a feature - thanks for the suggestion! We haven’t announced anything like that yet, but I’m going to send it to our product team with a note that it came from a customer request.

I’m going to close this thread - if you have any other suggestions, go ahead and post a new topic. Thanks for letting us know about this!