Whimsical bird on a leaf

I would think settings would be hard to pin down because of the danger of fire and the variability of the material. If I were to try, would start fast and very low power and sneak up on the proper settings.

3 Likes

Very valid point, just figured it would give me a starting point

1 Like

I may try myself. I was thinking since it’s cold, dreary, and damp outside (where I live) anyway. I would try with leaves that are not completely crumbly dry and maybe a little damp.

Can’t discuss settings in this forum, but mine wouldn’t do you much good as my leaf was not completely dried out.

2 Likes

Sorry, I don’t know how to use this damn glowforge place yet :woman_facepalming:t3: mine are all wet outside too been raining alllllll day

1 Like

There is a place on the forum to discuss setting. It’s the “Beyond the Manual” category. You would just start a new thread there, but I don’t think it would help in this case.

2 Likes

I’m not really super proud of this, just thought it was interesting. I have some better ideas in the works - just need nature to do its thing.

4 Likes

It would be neat to press a leaf and dry it, do the engrave then dampen the leaf again and mold it into some cool shape for display

1 Like

Well, this was flat when I engraved it (I had pressed it), but then I let it revert back to its natural shape - so a shadowbox was appropriate vs. below acrylic or glass.

I have ideas for flat leaves that would need to be mounted. Have some lovely maples waiting to give up their foliage…

1 Like

A flat sheet of paper, a pressed leaf (with engraving), and nose tissue. Then dampened with UV resin and when it looked right uv or leave in the sun, The resin should soak into everything , the tissue should have a few wrinkles but be mostly transparent, and when set will likely last longer than you will know about it.

2 Likes

What is nose tissue? Like Kleenex?

3 Likes

yup

Wow and double wow - never would have thought to use a leaf!

1 Like

Is this a real leaf or did you make the whole thing with glowforge?

1 Like

It’s a real leaf, from my yard.

What were the settings if you don’t mind me asking?

How did I miss this incredible creation?

3 Likes

Try them before they are dry. I’ve done green and yellow aspen, as well as oak when they are fresh. After engraving, put them in a press.

1 Like