White tile painted black with wood frame

Been doing a lot of white tile painted black Norton Method and learning how to use GIMP along with Inkscape for photo editing. It’s been a process, I’ve learned a lot and it’s been fun using this thing. I do wish it had a deeper depth so I could engrave larger objects though. Wish I could do cups and things of that nature.

37 Likes

Great work!

4 Likes

These are awesome! You have nailed the process! Love the Aviator one!

5 Likes

Awesome. It worked very well for the Spiderman / Venom, the Death Proof, and the Hell Raiser. They all look good, but the center line is less distracting to me because of the artwork, in those.

2 Likes

The detail you’ve got on these is wonderful, they are very striking.

4 Likes

Thank you all, it’s a learning process lol. White tile spray painted black 1000 speed, 80 or 90 power, Varied. I usednInkscape to design the boarder frames and then glued it all together with Locktight and Gorilla Glue.

1 Like

Oh wow. Some of the best Norton tiles I’ve seen!

4 Likes

These turned out great!

3 Likes

Those all looks very awesome! Almost enough to get me down this rabbit hole too!

1 Like

love them! The AH-64 is my favorite. Did you have all the tiles in the GF at the same time or tile the image and do each one separately?

1 Like

I made a jig for tile alignment and had them all in the GF at once.

1 Like

:+1:

Looks great. Clarification please. In what I have seen written before on Norton Tile method, you laser what you want to remain as black, and then can remove the initial WHITE paint that remains, and the resulting image is almost nondestructible. I have had success with that but the speed is much slower. In your case can I assume you are using a negative image and lasering away what you don’t want remaining, leaving the black painted areas on the tile?

1 Like

Even with the pro passthrough you still can’t. The tiles are just a little too thick. I toyed with the idea of using my drum sander to wear them down a bit, but not sure it would work and it’s a lot of slow sanding if it did.

I invert the photos I’m engraving then engrave. If I’m doing just white tile I spray it with matte white let it dry and engrave a photo that hasn’t been inverted.
With Norton when you do white tile you can remove the rest of the white paint and the image will stay because it’s etched into the tile. I rarely do white tile because finding the right settings and editing the photo correctly are a pain in the butt. I think it’s so much easier to do white tile painted black.

Black tile - inverted photo
White tile - not inverted

1 Like

Then I have done what you are describing.

My problem is I have is the coasters I have done have the black paint peeling in use. None of mine have been framed so they would have been fine for that but with constant use I just haven’t been able to prevent the paint from peeling.

What thru me is your reference to Norton, and my only past experience with a Norton technique was white paint and the chemical reaction that puts the permanent image into the glazing of the ceramic.

Thank you for your feedback.

1 Like

I usually put a heavy coat of clear on the tile after it’s engraved. I’ve never done tile coasters so I can’t really say that if you clear coat heavily it would work. White tile to me is just to difficult to get a good consistency because every tile is different and it’s hard to get a consistency on the white paint so the results are never the same and it drives me nuts. Lol

3 Likes